• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 5000 - How broad banded?

Funny . . . . . Didn't get anywhere near the same results with my MFJ-259B and Wilson 1000.
Hmmmmm . . . . .

The coil design is significantly different between the Wilson 1000 and 5000, which will give different results.

I see a problem with how the posted chart of reading is being interpreted. Or maybe it's because I don't see how the "%" is arrived at, what the criteria is for it.
It appears that resonance isn't being considered (X = 0), that SWR is the determining factor. This; "26.755 r=95 x=0 swr=1.8 z=94 %=90" ; is where that antenna being measured is resonant. And since the readings don't say how those measurements were taken (at the feed point of the antenna is where they should have been taken, or with a known/reliable and non-reactive length of feed line between the 259 and antenna feed point), then the posted chart isn't reliable.
So someone explain to me what the '%' is?
- 'Doc

I think the best idea going, use two different whips, one centered for 11M and one centered for the portion of 10M that you want to operate on.
i would agree for max efficiency. but it seems you should be able to cut one for 27.555 and still reach the lower portion of 10 and the upper portion of 11. If you wanted to go that route

I have not had a chance to cut one at .555 but i plan to try that first before going to a second antenna specifically for 10 m.

P.S. I have been working 10 meters on occasion with my whip still cut for 11 meters! Earlier in the summer I worked a station in South America and today I worked a station in Russia. All low power but great conditions have a lot to do with that right now.

I see a problem with how the posted chart of reading is being interpreted. Or maybe it's because I don't see how the "%" is arrived at, what the criteria is for it.
It appears that resonance isn't being considered (X = 0), that SWR is the determining factor. This; "26.755 r=95 x=0 swr=1.8 z=94 %=90" ; is where that antenna being measured is resonant. And since the readings don't say how those measurements were taken (at the feed point of the antenna is where they should have been taken, or with a known/reliable and non-reactive length of feed line between the 259 and antenna feed point), then the posted chart isn't reliable.
So someone explain to me what the '%' is?
- 'Doc

taken at the fed point to the factory attached coax...the only change to the coax was the replacement of the 259 connector and the loss of about 1.5" of coax (snip/strip/solder)...connector replaced with the one supplied with the antenna. the original, if i remember right was a crimp on, the replacement is a soldered
readings are taken from inside the vehicle, 6" away from the front of the radio, windows up and doors closed...coax routed through center console, out floor under rear seat, up rear of truck cab along the backrack, taken to center of cab and to antenna which sits 8" from upper brake light...location was a big open area (farm country), closest single level building 300+ feet away, closest tree probably the same..

ran it thru the basic first to achieve r/x/swr readings, then went to advanced to get z and efficiency rating (the % numbers listed)...all numbers supplied by the 259b, i just turned the dial :)

i never said there wasn't room for improvement (location of antenna, different routing for coax...hell things could get better or worse depending on install) or the antenna was the best of the best...and i'm sure there are better options...i was just offering up what information i had available from first hand experience. How anyone wishes to interpret and use that information is up to them, no?

i have not got around to it, but I have plans to cut the top portion of a 102 whip down and use it on the wilson 5k for 10 meters,

I plan to cut it at about 57 1/4 or 57 1/2 inches to give me some room to match. Wilson recomends a 57 inch whip for 10 meters at 28.5 mHz

Fastenal carries small diameter solid rod, am pretty sure in lengths of up to 5 or 6 feet. Would be hell of alot cheaper than a 102" whip.

Ive used my 5000 on 10-11 meter with a tuner and Ive also used the smaller cheaper wilson 500 on 10 - 11 meters using a Kenwood TS-50 with the matching AT-50 tuner talked allover the damn place on 100 watts ;)

First, thanks to all for the replies.

Well it didn't want to do the "dual band" thing. Tuned for 11M, it was almost 3:1 @ 28.300 The best it would do was 2:1 on the outside edges of either band, so it was cut for 10M and I'm waiting for another whip to trim for 11M.

It took almost 3" to get the SWR down to 1:1 @ 28.300

Um, I'm kind of flabbergasted at the performance. Keep in mind I'm a newbie who's only been playing on 10M for a few weeks with an IC-706MkII on a G5RV-Jr at home (in So. Cal). I've talked as far as Venezuela & Japan, but have never heard Europe, and no real No. East US to speak of on the base.

The first thing I heard this morning on the mobile (257 Magnum/Wilson 5000) was a QSO between Spain & New Hampshire. New to me. Got a 5/5 report from the New Hampshire station. I then spoke to New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania & Georgia before a brief contact with a station on an Island off Samoa. All on 75W with a flippin' mag mount CB antenna.

Not sure if it was just conditions that I'd never seen/heard before, or if my G5RV is that bad. I guess the only way to find out is to upgrade the base antenna now. :D

Thanks again!

First, thanks to all for the replies.

Well it didn't want to do the "dual band" thing. Tuned for 11M, it was almost 3:1 @ 28.300 The best it would do was 2:1 on the outside edges of either band, so it was cut for 10M and I'm waiting for another whip to trim for 11M.

It took almost 3" to get the SWR down to 1:1 @ 28.300

Um, I'm kind of flabbergasted at the performance. Keep in mind I'm a newbie who's only been playing on 10M for a few weeks with an IC-706MkII on a G5RV-Jr at home (in So. Cal). I've talked as far as Venezuela & Japan, but have never heard Europe, and no real No. East US to speak of on the base.

The first thing I heard this morning on the mobile (257 Magnum/Wilson 5000) was a QSO between Spain & New Hampshire. New to me. Got a 5/5 report from the New Hampshire station. I then spoke to New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania & Georgia before a brief contact with a station on an Island off Samoa. All on 75W with a flippin' mag mount CB antenna.

Not sure if it was just conditions that I'd never seen/heard before, or if my G5RV is that bad. I guess the only way to find out is to upgrade the base antenna now. :D

Thanks again!

And all those guys on the local repeater that told you using a mag mount antenna on HF was a waste of time are full of what?? :love:

Wilson 5000

Tried different ways and made them work, always a price to be payed, now use the Wilson 5000 coil and wipe centered on 27025 for eleven meters an a Wilson 1000 coil centered on 28,550 for 10 meters, if I want to talk, I change coils an am go to go full power on each band, no loss, good ears, radio performs its best!............kb6hrt

From what you've said about the changes you've heard I have to think that the differences are primarily from the change in polarization of the antenna used. There is, typically, quite a bit of attenuation because of mixed polarizations, on the order of 20 dB or more. That much change can certainly make stations 'appear/disappear' like magic. And then there's the differences in radiation pattern coverage of those two antennas, both won't 'cover' the same areas. And as you suggested, propagation has a huge amount of influence on all of that.
That big'a difference from using a 'CB' antenna? How about thinking of it in terms of that 'CB' antenna being designed for a frequency range only 1 Mhz difference in frequency range from the ham 10 meter band? That's not really all that much of a difference frequency wise, they are very close. At those frequency ranges, it doesn't mean much change in antenna lengths to go from one to the other, usually just inches. At lower frequencies, going half that change in frequency, it's feet, not inches. The difference you experienced are about as 'normal' as it get's, which certainly doesn't say that it's not surprising at times.
Something you might try just for grins, is to be able to switch between that vertical and horizontally polarized antennas when signals start to fade in/out. Typically, when one starts to fade out, the other starts to fade in. (That works on any/all bands, BTW.)
- 'Doc

And another one of those 'view point' thingys is that there is no one, single antenna that is always the 'best' in each and every situation. There certainly can be a 'best' antenna for specific and particular situations. Unfortunately, there's always a difference in those situations, and that situation can change quicker than some would ever believe.

Wilson 5000

W5LZ,
w5lz has made the point nicely, Back in the day had a President Pa 11m antenna that was very broudbanded that would stretch from the lower part of 10m to 26.500 an worked well, the nice thing about that antenna was the coil was next to the stinger, an was mounted on some sort of combination plate bracket trunk mount, it looked good an worked well for both skip and Ground wave on my 2000 Dodge Stratus. I talked to the company that sold the antenna to me a while back, and the sales person said to me, your the guy that brought the PP antenna from me about 12 years ago, wish I could get another 100 or so of them they would sell quick.
When I want to get into 10m more than I am now, have a Tarheel M100 with a rear side mount I put on my RAV-4 and use the Galaxy 94HP or my Kenwood HX480 on 10m that gives me good results for skip and good results on ground wave if I am heading in the direction of the incoming signals...........KB6HRT;)

I purchased an extra whip for my Wilson 5000 and cut it for 10 meters the one for CB is centered in the middle of the band CH19 will work up to about 27.7xxx with an SWR right about 2.1. If you working both bands probably an extra whip is the cheapest way to go and it only take a few seconds to change out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.