• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 5000 magnet mount problem

Brandonky

Oct 18, 2012
I just put a 2pill amp in my pickup and sometimes when I let off the mic the amp stays keyed. I have a lip mount k40 and I hooked it up and it does just fine. Any opinions on what might be wrong with the Wilson? I've checked it with a multi meter and everything checks out.

The way most CB amps are built, there is an RF detection circuit that watches for transmitted RF energy, when it finds it it applies power to the relay changing its circuit to drive the amplifier. When this transmitted RF power goes away this should cut the power to the relay switching the relay back to the no power state, (or connecting the antenna directly to the radio, unless there is a preamp in that amplifier and it is on).

An antenna, being a dumb device, cannot affect the components needed to switch an amplifier on. All an antenna does is attempt to transmit the signal it receives from its transmission line.

At first guess I would say you have an intermittently bad relay or rf detection circuit.

The DB

A guy goes to the doctor and says: 'Doc, my elbow hurts every time I flap my arm this way.'

The doc replies: 'Then don't flap your arm like that again.'

If it works fine with the non-magnet mount K-40; then put it back on and use it.
You could also try using a different/better jumper coax between the radio and amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio