• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 5000 or 1000

central205

Apr 8, 2012
Colfax, IN USA
Right now I have the Wilson Lil Wil. It's ok for now, but I'll want to upgrade when I have the bucks to "spare". I have an old chevy S10, using a mag mount. I don't think I want to try a "102 whip right now. I'm hitting tree limbs as it is.
But if I am going to upgrade my antenna, should I go for the 5000? I only have a Cobra 29 Classic, doing about 28 Watts. I don't intend to run any Amp etc. at this point. Not there yet; but I would like to get more range. I live out in the sticks.
The 5000 is not that much more money, but if I read the ad's correctly it is meant for higher power than I am running.
But would it "perform" better on lower power?
Or, would it be a waste of money?

They use the same whip, however the coils are different. I believe that the coil in the 5k is slightly more efficient than the one in the 1k. A few people I know that have gone from the 1k to the 5k swear there is a difference performance wise.

The listed power rating is the claimed coil power handling capability. I have seen a Wilson 1k coil burn up at less than 500 watts, I don't know if it was just a defective unit or not. Also the coax on both are not listed at anywhere near the antenna ratings if you get a magnet/trunk mount unit (or any unit that comes with a coax). That being said, the coax on the 5k is better quality than the one on the 1k.

If the price is near as makes no difference go for the 5k.

There have also been a lot of issues with the newer ones (stinger being to short, water leaking all the way through the coil tube causing damage in the connector below, ect.)

I know it may sound like I don't like these antennas, that is simply not true, just want to make sure you have all of the facts. I ran a newer mag-mount 5k for over a year and it worked well on top of my suv until I replaced it with a bolted on 102"+riser. My suv looks like a radio controlled vehicle now...

The DB

Right now I have the Wilson Lil Wil. It's ok for now, but I'll want to upgrade when I have the bucks to "spare". I have an old chevy S10, using a mag mount. I don't think I want to try a "102 whip right now. I'm hitting tree limbs as it is.
But if I am going to upgrade my antenna, should I go for the 5000? I only have a Cobra 29 Classic, doing about 28 Watts. I don't intend to run any Amp etc. at this point. Not there yet; but I would like to get more range. I live out in the sticks.
The 5000 is not that much more money, but if I read the ad's correctly it is meant for higher power than I am running.
But would it "perform" better on lower power?
Or, would it be a waste of money?

I own a Wilson 5000, its a great antenna came with rg8 mini coax ( good quility ) I swapped it for lmr400 coax. It is a roof mount. Very nice antenna and it is worth the $79.99. If u want something bigger predator 10k (what a eye sore) but a good antenna.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1 person
i have to agree with db on this one. there has been way to many reported problems with the wilson line of antennas lately to risk spending that kind of money on, it really is a roll of the dice as to what you will get. i too like the wilson 1000 and 5000 mag mounts but i have had to many problems with them and will not waste another minuite with them untill the new owners address those issues. i had a problem with the wilson 5000 right out of the box. so, i ended up wasting some $130.00(including shipping) for an antenna that i can't use. the company made good on it, sent me a completely different kind of antenna that i wasen't set up to use...so i am out again. i was thinking of putting them all up for a package deal sale.

this is all due to the former company's lack of quality control, and or design flaws. so, in my quest to find an antenna that "works" i came across the sirio turbo 5000 and the performer 5000 line of 1/4 wave antennas. i have herd alot of very good reveiws on these antennas and decided to try one, and i am glad i did. and from how i see this antenna perform as compared to the wilson, i don't think i will ever go back to the wilsons again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I ran a wilson 5000 mag mount on the roof and trunk-lip mounted. Both served me well. I then moved up to a 55 r4 on a tri-mag on the roof. The reports I received told me that I was giving folks the same signal running barefoot with the 55 that I gave them using the Wilson with a 1x4 in front of it.

The r4 will run you $100 plus another $10-$15 for a 102' whip (you make the stinger with it). Then you'll need a good tri or quad mag mount and the coax for it which will probably run you around another $75-$100.

Worth it if you have the extra cash to burn

Thanks for all the input. That Sirio looks pretty cool. Does anybody know which mag mount would work best with it?

yes, the mag 145PL works great. much better than the wilson magnet. everything is sealed with "0" rings and rubber gaskets, and a rubber boot on the base as well. a very good quality mag. i have tested it to 75mph and it held fast.

I was just looking at H&Y Electronics website. They list the Sirio 5000 and 6" Mag combo for $93.95. That seems like a good buy. Not sure if that includes coax. I may shoot them an email tonight.

I was just looking at H&Y Electronics website. They list the Sirio 5000 and 6" Mag combo for $93.95. That seems like a good buy. Not sure if that includes coax. I may shoot them an email tonight.

yes it does include coax. they have a 12' length of rg58c/u prewired on the mag. this is ok for general use for a short time. i would recommend changing it out to a length of LMR240 ultraflex. i did mine and it works excellent.

see that...$93.95 a few bucks cheaper than the wilson and you get a better antenna. sounds like a good deal to me. you wouldn't be disappointed in the performance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio