• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wilson 5000 vs 102 steel whip with coil

I've been doing some experiments lately with different antennas and I would like to know whats the best overall performing antenna. The wilson 5000 or a old school 1o2 inch whip?

the 102 inch whip doesn't have a coil. it doesn't need one as it's a 1/4 wave, although 102 inches might be slightly short for centering on the us cb band,(if i recall from the old days, the 102 inches actually came from antennas embedded in fibreglass, which changes the velocity factor of the conductor) it will outperform any coil antenna, albeit in some cases marginally, the downside to it is, it is huge on most family cars.

if installed properly the 102 should outperform a wilson .however i find the
102 to be kinda unpractial for everyday driving.imho.the open coil antennas
like the petator10k , 55,mr.coily these come close to the 102.

I've been doing some experiments lately with different antennas and I would like to know whats the best overall performing antenna. The wilson 5000 or a old school 1o2 inch whip?

what antennas are you using ?
how are you doing your experimenting ?
and what are your results ?

the 102 - 108 is the gold standard for cb mobile antennas , but many folks can't or wont use them because their tip height when mounted on their vehicle .

from what i can tell going by user results from different forums the sirio 5000 seems to be a slightly better performer than the wilson 5000 .

but ........ IT'S A 10K WORLD ! (y)

0r get a 4' firestick and unwind it until you have just enough wire to go around it maybe 3 times to the top then put shrink tubing of the color you choose over it or wrap it with electrical tape, then stick a Wilson1000 whip on top and trim for lowest swr. Makes a real slinky but great performing mobile antenna when you mount it on a 4 magnet mount on the roof. When it does hit something there's no damage due to how slinky the top whip is. I've been running this for two years with a TX500 and no problems. A lot less noise than the Wilson1000 and alot better performance. I gave my 1000 away because this works so much better.

well booty monster to answer your ?s the different antennas and experiments im doing are to see if my antennas can handle the power of my kicker. im using a magnum 257 radio with an xforce x200. when i had the wilson 5000 hooked i was talking pretty good compared to the 1o2 inch steel whip i just put on. ive only had the 102 on my car for 2 days and so far it seems to be doing a lot better than my wilson 5000. also i grounded my antenna with some ground straps. my cb buddy told me about how u should ground your mobile antenna. he said it should help improve your receive signal and talking better. idk what do u think?

I found the Wilson1000 about 3db down from my 1/4 wave whip on the guys ham radio meter. It also seems to pick up more overall noise and has alot weaker ears.

well booty monster to answer your ?s the different antennas and experiments im doing are to see if my antennas can handle the power of my kicker. im using a magnum 257 radio with an xforce x200. when i had the wilson 5000 hooked i was talking pretty good compared to the 1o2 inch steel whip i just put on. ive only had the 102 on my car for 2 days and so far it seems to be doing a lot better than my wilson 5000. also i grounded my antenna with some ground straps. my cb buddy told me about how u should ground your mobile antenna. he said it should help improve your receive signal and talking better. idk what do u think?

I think you meant to ground the antenna mount, not the actual antenna. That being said, what you are looking for is a good (ground plane) under the antenna. Metal mass that makes up the other half of the antenna system. How and where are you mounting?

when testing these antennas make sure ya mount them in same spot
otherwise your tests are void. if ya got the wilson on the roof then thats where
the 102 should be tested at.if done this way the 102 should outperform all
shorter antennas. the 10k from what ive heard from users does very close to
a 102 if not just as good.as booty monster said the sirio 5000 is also a good one
i havent triedthat one.imo it really depends on your install. my vehicle is a mini
van. just for kicks i put a 102 on my roof WOW it was way too high. so
for ME a shortened antenna like a 10k or wilson sirio ,ect is more acceptable
if ya have/own both try each 1 for a week do local signal checks but never say
what antenna your on then do same with the second one.see which one does
better .i did this and had to find a [second best ] antenna cause a 102 on my roof
was over 15feet high at its peak

Just curious, how did your buddy tell you to 'ground' that antenna?
- 'Doc
hey told me to go and buy some ground straps and ground the base of the antenna with one end of the ground strap and the other end of the ground strap ground it to the body of car. for example....
my antenna setup up is on the trunk and i have one ground strap going from the base of the antenna and the other to the inside of the trunk.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.