• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wilson 5000 vs 102 steel whip with coil

I think you meant to ground the antenna mount, not the actual antenna. That being said, what you are looking for is a good (ground plane) under the antenna. Metal mass that makes up the other half of the antenna system. How and where are you mounting?
the antenna is mounted on the trunk with a tripod 3 magnet mount.

is your trunk lid bonded to the body of the car, and then the body of the car to the frame? if not this would help the ground plane tremendously. i use wide ground straps about an inch on each side of my trunk lid to assure a good bond. good luck (y)

is your trunk lid bonded to the body of the car, and then the body of the car to the frame? if not this would help the ground plane tremendously. i use wide ground straps about an inch on each side of my trunk lid to assure a good bond. good luck (y)

why i absolutely hate trunk mounting lttle to no ground. best place for antenna
has been and always will be the roof.while this isnt always practial with all antennas
i get whats most practical for on the roof

i agree but some folks do it that way. my main antenna's are alwasy on my roof, 2 meter on trunk sometimes in trunk if in city and just listening, but I always bond trunk and hood.

Grounds, RF & DC

Reactions: 1 person
a well installed 102 on the trunk with good bonded vehicle should work good, it may have some directionality towards the front though. each install can be different as to whether perhaps a wilson 5k or sirio p5k would work better on the roof vs 102 on trunk. sometimes you just have to try it out and see what works best for you unfortunately.

does your rear glass have defroster wires that may affect the antenna install on the trunk?

a well installed 102 on the trunk with good bonded vehicle should work good, it may have some directionality towards the front though. each install can be different as to whether perhaps a wilson 5k or sirio p5k would work better on the roof vs 102 on trunk. sometimes you just have to try it out and see what works best for you unfortunately.

does your rear glass have defroster wires that may affect the antenna install on the trunk?

in therory the wilson mounted on the roof SHOULD do better its mounted higher
but you know cb theres no guareentee.gamegetter is right mounted on the
trunk it most likely will be directional towards the front.which means you,ll
do better from the front of your vehicle than the rear of your vehicle.

When mounted in the identical location, the 102" whip will always outperform any loaded antenna, base or center loaded.

I use the MFJ license-plate mount when mounting large antennas on my car. The license plate and frame are removed and the license plate mount bolted in it's place, then the frame and plate are replaced back. The mount is thoroughly bonded to the trunk and body of the car with 1/2" braid. I use a Fat Boy puck on there. I flipped my mount upside-down.

I mounted my 2M 5/8ths on the roof, and have mounted my 10/11M base loaded antenna in the center of the trunk. A trunk lip mount on the driver's side holds any other antennas (such as my 220Mhz antenna); all my body mounts use an NMO mount, with which I can easily change antennas.

MFJ license plate mount: (mine is flipped upside-down.)

Attachments

• MFJ-2820sm.jpg
    MFJ-2820sm.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
well booty monster to answer your ?s the different antennas and experiments im doing are to see if my antennas can handle the power of my kicker. im using a magnum 257 radio with an xforce x200. when i had the wilson 5000 hooked i was talking pretty good compared to the 1o2 inch steel whip i just put on. ive only had the 102 on my car for 2 days and so far it seems to be doing a lot better than my wilson 5000. also i grounded my antenna with some ground straps. my cb buddy told me about how u should ground your mobile antenna. he said it should help improve your receive signal and talking better. idk what do u think?

well it seems in your install the 102 is the better antenna . as far as the grounding , if your'e not having noise issues and you seem to hear everything the folks around you are hearing then you are probably ok to start with . but if you like to tinker or have an issue the only thing to be aware of is not to create a ground loop which can create noise ...... but you can always take off the offending line though .
here's some tips on doing it ...

Special Publications | Technical Publication #44
Special Publications | Technical Publication #35

and a chit load of information is available at KØBG.COM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio