• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson Little Wil help!!

Dukey

Nov 29, 2008
:wub::confused:I have a new wilson litle wil cobra 29 chrome and all worked really well. until I was given a Polmar 400 watt linear. I neglected to check the wattage rating of the little will until i popped the capacitor in the base and lost my match. now with the linear out of the equation I can not get a low SWR anymore. I need to replace the capacitor in the base of the little wil. Any idea what size it was and which way to install it. Any help would be great.
thanks O and I have a 400 watt linear that works really well if anyone is interested.

thanks again
Andy

I have it all apart but there is no capacitor left to identify. a capacitor is only a few dollars and a new antenna is 39.00 i will try differnt caps

thanks

I will be able to amke it water proof as when i took it apart i found the sealant in the base around the brass lug for the whip nothing more than silicone I have plenty of that and I have all the tools to put it together as I am a truck mechanic. I simply need to know if anyone can tell me what size the capacitor was and where the positive side goes. example the center wire or the shield

Thanks

Andy:headbang:glare:

does it have a warranty, if so just exchange it. I did a search and could find nothing about the value of the cap.

It has a warranty as it is only two weeks old but i exploded the capacitor with the amp and I am sure I can not get it covered now as i have it all apart.
thanks for your help
I just order a wilson 1000 magmount that should handle it

I have one of those antennas. I'm away from home camping, but give me a couple of days and I'll be back. I'll take it apart and look at the value of the cap for you.

BTW, I have a used Wilson 1000 mag mount that I don't need that has a new, uncut stinger that I would sell very reasonably. It will handle that power level.

Anyway, I'll let you know the value of that cap, assuming I can read the numbers on it.

You won't have to worry about the polarity of the capacitor; that's just for electrolytics, and the capacitor you need will NOT be an electrolytic. Probably a silver mica around 100 pF - just as a guess.

This is a link to the amp Palomar 400 Service Manual I have the one that burnt up the cap in my little wil
is this any good? i do not know if I should us it. Right now I am hooked to a stock out of the box Cobra 29 limited edition chrome. but i normally use my tuned Cobra 29 night watch wich puts out 8 watts. i did not want to use it with the amp as I was afraid i would damage the amp. not thinking about the damage I did to my antenna.

Last edited:
It's up to you, but I think your fears are justified, and wouldn't use an amplifier with that antenna at all. That's the only advice I feel safe in giving.
- 'Doc

If you ordered a 1000 I would not worry about the lil wil, You wont want to use it anyway when the 1000 arrives! Peace.

:wub::confused:I have a new wilson litle wil cobra 29 chrome and all worked really well. until I was given a Polmar 400 watt linear. I neglected to check the wattage rating of the little will until i popped the capacitor in the base and lost my match. now with the linear out of the equation I can not get a low SWR anymore. I need to replace the capacitor in the base of the little wil. Any idea what size it was and which way to install it. Any help would be great.
thanks O and I have a 400 watt linear that works really well if anyone is interested.

thanks again
Andy

180pfd, 1kv, I got this directly from one of the techs at wilson.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.