• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wilson roof 5000 problem

well imho i think kits sounds like altenator whine . cause
as your rpm raised the noised increased. now i could be wrong
and probaly am but just my 2 cents. now on the sxpark plugs
boshce [bad spelling ] work great in mopars. on swr 1.5 is good
and normally about what you,ll see from a wilson . i never had much
luck from a trunk mount with wilson.satisfactory grounding at best
plus even wilson says should have coil above the roofline.also
for noise try rerouting the coax a bit.

That noise sounds like an injector to me. It sounds too fast for a spark plug and too slow for an alternator.

If you are getting more than 40 watts out of that '706 in AM mode, you are right, the thing is very heavily modified, and not just in frequency coverage. And if you are driving that '2100 with 40 watts, that 250 watts output is certainly in the normal range.
- 'Doc

so, here is what i have learned that when im driving 40+ when i touch the gas the noise comes in thru the radio when i let off its 90% gone. so now to figure out if it is the alt or sparks..... Bosch is not recommended for my engine it will destroy my my engine. i need a new valve cover anyways because two of the coil covers are stripped! stupid plastic. so once i get the new cover im thinking if i get resistor plugs i might be in luck on the noise. today im going to try the coax probe and see what i can come up with. btw with the wilson on the roof there is a GROUND issue and i have no way of grounding up there. @ W5LZ according to my external meter which is supposed to be accurate with the radio on AM in 10- 11m on high setting it does a 50w dk and swings to 150w.

i was in AM mode when i made the video. SSB the NB is beautiful!!!

my car has 80K + miles ( my first car) and my dad said that he is sure i have carbon build up in my engine. and i believe i do which i have dirty injectors etc. now the Q is should i pay for a engine treatment or drop sea foam in the gas, break booster, oil ........

Bosch is not recommended for my engine it will destroy my my engine.
I'm not sure who told you that a certain brand of spark plug could ruin an engine, but that's just silly. Now if you use the wrong part number and the electrode contacts the piston or a valve, that's a different story.

i was in AM mode when i made the video. SSB the NB is beautiful!!!

hmm, that might explain why i found the 706 nb to be very effective where you find it less so, i never ever use AM, last time i did i got my ass busted and it cost me my cobra 148 gtldx, i always use SSB. Not only is AM a pig for causing interference its also far more susceptible to it too.i still don't understand why you guys over the pond still persevere with an outdated mode of communication, i'd rather use smoke signals than AM, at least my neighbours could watch their telly and not have to listen to my audio being rectified through their fridge.

i thought it might be alternator whine or even more likely the fuel injector myself which is why i asked earlier if it was fuel injected.

more often than not i've found rfi in a receiver to be a mix of different sources and as you sort out each one the noise levels drop, but there's usually one source that is far worse than the rest.

i get similar multi source rfi from my pc,the monitor,psu (those switchmode psu's are real garbage),mouse and keyboard all generate noise, as does the graphics card with certain graphics, but then i'm a total cheapskate when it comes to computers, most i ever paid for one was 50 quid, so i guess that in itself won't help much, but for me computers are well down my list of priorities unlike what radios were back when i was heavily into them.

iv had the radio on the base next to my laptop and window fan ( im a smoker ). and have had no issues with RFI its all in the car. i did the coax probe and from what i understand is the gap between my spark plugs and coil cover is a GAP thus creating A spark gap sound the faster i go in my receive the louder it gets. so im getting new coils. i just talked to a local CB'er / Ham and he said aswell there very well could be a gap between the plug and coil covers over the spark plugs. so im going to order new coils and im crossing my fingers that is the issue. after using the probe thats the only S unit + sound source i found in the engine causing my problem.

coils are expensive .you could nearly get another radio. befor i went that route i would see if its only "that radio" doing it .if so then i doubt new coils would help either .

i decided to get creative ----> YouTube - Wilson 5000 roof mount project 1

here is the complete funny part after installing the RG213u ( yes real milspec double shielded) 90% of my static noise i had from the engine is gone! im still going to buy a new valve cover because my coils zerk inserts got stripped silly plastic. and i might buy used better looking coils then what mine are. when i do replace i will show how bad they are. the old spark plugs looked like burnt marshmallows ( i use to build 49cc RC race engines for gopeds) and i have never had a problem seeing a sparkplug burnt so bad. the coils are just about the same warn out and done for. hmm the only radios i can compaire to is the S9, RCI 2950, Cobra 29, and a few handhelds. but you see those CB radios and exports the NB cancels 99% of the noise. and i havent tried any of the other radios since putting in the new spark plugs. out of curiosity why would the radio be doing this? and i was also going to ask who i can trust with my new radio to go through it to make sure all is good inside. as it is a used radio.

swr is not an issue. it seems the old 706 was just a noisy receiver! i have a 706mk2g and it filters out the junk no problem and i have the dsp unit inside. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.