• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson1000 and Wilson 500

Kevin

Aug 8, 2005
HI,
New guy here with a couple of questions. Up until yesterday I planned on getting a Wilson 1000 mag mount for the top of my pickup truck, after some measuring a realized my overall hieght would be close to 12ft and I would be hitting some wires that cross my driveway whenever I came home.

My questioin is how much of a difference is there between the Wilson 1000 and the 500 which is like 12'' shorter.(I will be running a stock out of the box radio) Would it even be noticable? or is it worth smacking the antenna everyday.

I'm guessing that the 500 on the roof would still out perform a 1000 or trucker 2000 hood/fender mount driver side, just because it's higher up.....is this correct.

Would doing a driverside hood/fender mount give me reduced range to the front left?

Thanks for listening to the newbie

Thanks Jeff,

Thats what I was thinking.

What about the hood/fender mount, is anything I put there going to work as good as a 500 on the roof?

What alot of guy's with pick-up's do. Is mount a antenna bracket to the inside of the bed-rail, right behind the rear window. This way you can use the taller antennas, with out it sticking up high enough to knock-out stop lights at inter-sections! I see alot of 102'' whips mounted this way. Or if you have a toolbox, you can mount to that. Just have to be sure you have a good ground when useing the tool-box mount...

The taller antennas tend to tune better........

i have my whip right behind the cab smack dab in the middle. Every day when i come home i hit one wire but it doesnt affect it at all. And i can get a good 2-4 miles with the whip. I could really care less if i hit something. You will be moving when you go under something and the whip will bend back. I was driving on the interstate and the whip was bent pretty far. Thats the only thing i have hit so far and i dont take my truck through drive thoughs so i dont have to worry about it. Hope this helps CDX197

Older thread but, I have to reply.
The Tram 3500 Mag Mount and the Sirio Performer 5000 will both do as good, or better, than the Wilson 1000 or 5000, imo. I've had both and, from what I've seen, this is a fact.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.