• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wiring a 4 pin mic plug to an old Cobra Dynamic mic

danmcclain

Dec 11, 2020
About ready to pull my hair out here. I'm slowly learning the ropes for cb radio restoration. My problem now is that the colors of the wire on my mic don't match the colors in most wiring diagrams. The colors of the wires on my mic are red, violet, white (with a black covering), and the shield (bare copper). How do I wire the 4 pin plug with these colors? Be patient, I'm learning more every day. I'm using the mic on a Cobra 19 DX III.

Shield goes to pin 1.

The shield is wrapped around one of those wires. That one goes to pin 2. Probably the white wire.

This leaves red and violet. One of them is transmit, the other one is for receive.

Check for continuity from the violet wire to the shield. If you see a circuit between those two wires, the violet goes to pin 4. That leaves the red wire for pin 3.

The wire colors found in a mike cord are frequently just arbitrary. Using a meter to see which wire has continuity to ground for receive and which for transmit will sort this out.

Shield goes to pin 1.

The shield is wrapped around one of those wires. That one goes to pin 2. Probably the white wire.

This leaves red and violet. One of them is transmit, the other one is for receive.

Check for continuity from the violet wire to the shield. If you see a circuit between those two wires, the violet goes to pin 4. That leaves the red wire for pin 3.

The wire colors found in a mike cord are frequently just arbitrary. Using a meter to see which wire has continuity to ground for receive and which for transmit will sort this out.

Thanks, I'll try that...

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.