• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wiring a (gasp!!) CB mic to an H/T??

Blackpaw

May 7, 2011
SW Costal ME
I've got a UV-5R and am curious to know if it might be practical to wire up, say an old CB mic I've got laying around to the Baoufeng. I think that the mic impedance of the H/T is significantly lower than the CB mic. The radio I believe is less then 5 ohms, maybe less than 3? And a CB mic is anywhere from 200 - 500 ohms. would this be a waste of time?

Any thoughts?
73s

Greg

isn't that kinda defeating the whole purpose of a handi talki?,... to be well,...... handy**Jump_im**

I get this mental picture of a tiny ht with a big ole D-104 wired to it:oops:

Better check those specs again. I cannot even fathom a microphone input impedance of only 3-5 ohms. Maybe if there was a "K" after that meaning "thousand".

That's the spec I got from Baoufeng's web site, perhaps chinglish strikes again. I was a mere passing thought today while eating burritos for lunch. Thanks for the comeback

Greg

isn't that kinda defeating the whole purpose of a handi talki?,... to be well,...... handy**Jump_im**

I get this mental picture of a tiny ht with a big ole D-104 wired to it:oops:

Where I live, I cannot have an external antenna nor do I wish to tx anymore than 5w. I can hit my local repeater pretty well, but with only 50% power due to only having the rubber (mud) duck antenna. I'm going to build a dipole/J-pole/etc to put up in my attic and have a "base station" where I'd attach my H/T to the "base" antenna, with a hand held mic and QSo till the cows come home, as it were.
Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep a "diary" of my progress

73s

Greg

Reactions: 1 person
I have to think that your HT uses an electret microphone, so, if you want to use an external mic and if you happen to have an electret type microphone, why not? If you don't have the right element (electret) then it's probably going to be a waste of time. I think the external mics for your HT aren't that much, so you might check into one of them.
- 'Doc

Hey you should try the kenwood thf6a mic with the uv5r i did and it works pretty good plus it has volume control and works with the ht. I need to send my uv5r to someone to fix the internal mic it stopped working so my only choice is the external kenwood mic :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.