• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wiring a microphone

eric chilton

Aug 8, 2019
hi im kinda new to the cb radio hobby and im starting to work on my own equipment........and most of it is mic wiring and stuff like that ........i having problems the difference in the terms of shield and braid in mic wiring ...i know its probably a dumb question but could some one give me a lesson on that ? ive tried to find out on the internet but nobody shows pictures of the wires........mostly ill be wiring 4 pin and 5 pin radios ....thanks for all reply's ......Eric......

Shield and braid are interchangeable words that basically refer to the same thing. Similar to your coax braid that covers its center conductor, with mic wiring it’s the braided or shielded wire that covers the audio wire.

Reactions: eric chilton
Shield and braid are interchangeable words that basically refer to the same thing. Similar to your coax braid that covers its center conductor, with mic wiring it’s the braided or shielded wire that covers the audio wire.
thank you for the reply .....does the shield/braid always cover the audio wire ?

thank you for the reply .....does the shield/braid always cover the audio wire ?
I would never say "always", but as far as CB radio mic wiring is concerned, yes. Some extremely low impedance or carbon mics that are found on some old commercial radios (police, fire etc) will be absent of any cord shielding. Those will be a mismatch for CB radio purposes anyway. As long as you stay with mics that are meant for CB, you should be fine.

Reactions: eric chilton

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.