• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wiring A Shure SM48 Mic To A 8 Pin AR-3500

ranger2970

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 27, 2008
I am trying to wire this mic to a Ar-3500.I was using this mic on my Yaesu ft 1200,i just got a ar-3500 that has a 8 pin..All I see is 1-5 is basically for the scanning purposes.Think only 3 pins are used 6.7.8. transmit,shield,audio.I have no paper work on the shure mic...as for the shield its most of the time with blue,but what I am seeing its just calls for shield.I have blue,white,black,red,shield..its adapter with a hand key..i have almost tried every way on this.i am just wondering if the hand key is the problem...Thanks Any Info would be appreciated..thanks..rick

Your Shure mic should have a 3 pin XLR and the pins outs are standardized as such: pin 1 Ground, pin 2 HOT, pin 3 Shield.

I wire my pro audio mics by using pin 2 XLR as the audio and XLR pin 1 and 3 to grounds. I run my mics thru a mixer patched to the radio's ACC connection.

Pin 8 (audio) on your radio by the diagram below would be pin 2 from a XLR cable. then use radio pin 7 for the the ground on XLR pin 1. The shield and ground can be connected together if need be since they are both grounds.

You also may want to wire a 2 conductor wire pigtail off pin 6 (PTT) and 7(Gnd) from your radios mic connector for a PTT since I don't believe your radio has VOX. Then you can use a simple non-latching switch for PTT. Pin 2 on your radio looks to be a common ground to use for the PTT ground but I would check with a multimeter before I made any connection.

You could also just purchase any HEIL 8 pin to 3 pin XLR cable which will have the PTT pigtail connector installed. You would just have to check pin outs on the 8 pin radio end and move them around to match your radio.

th

41fdF0VLxhL.jpg

Last edited:
Your Shure mic should have a 3 pin XLR and the pins outs are standardized as such: pin 1 Ground, pin 2 HOT, pin 3 Shield.

I wire my pro audio mics by using pin 2 XLR as the audio and XLR pin 1 and 3 to grounds. I run my mics thru a mixer patched to the radio's ACC connection.

Pin 8 (audio) on your radio by the diagram below would be pin 2 from a XLR cable. then use radio pin 7 for the the ground on XLR pin 1. The shield and ground can be connected together if need be since they are both grounds.

You also may want to wire a 2 conductor wire pigtail off pin 6 (PTT) and 7(Gnd) from your radios mic connector for a PTT since I don't believe your radio has VOX. Then you can use a simple non-latching switch for PTT. Pin 2 on your radio looks to be a common ground to use for the PTT ground but I would check with a multimeter before I made any connection.

You could also just purchase any HEIL 8 pin to 3 pin XLR cable which will have the PTT pigtail connector installed. You would just have to check pin outs on the 8 pin radio end and move them around to match your radio.

th

41fdF0VLxhL.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.