• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wiring of a Magnetic Antenna

Marc Duncan

Mar 17, 2009
Raleigh, NC
OK guys, after this question I know you will all wonder how I passed the tech exam, and frankly I wonder myself.

Something in the ceiling of a parking garage downtown grabbed my magnetic antenna (cheap hershey kiss) and ripped the magnet and coax cable out of the base.

So, I soldered the coax shield wire to the magnet and the center coax wire to the pin of the antenna. I then put it back together with a high temperature silicone. I seems to work OK but I now hear a wizzing or whurring when listening to others.

Was I sposed to solder the shield wire to the magnet?

I also broke the center pin inside the SMA connector so Radio Shack hooked me up with a new $7 connector. I think I hit the point of deminished return when I bought the antenna for $20.

Can anyone direct me in this matter?

Thank you,
Marc Duncan

Last edited:

Gosh I'm sorry.

It is a 2M/70CM Dual Band Magnetic HAM Radio Antenna.

I don't know the manufactuerer, there are no markings. But it looks something like the picture attached.

Thank you!

Attachments

• hersey kiss antenna.jpg
    hersey kiss antenna.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 209
Marc,
I sort of think that "point of deminished return" has been reached too, all things considered. I'm a victim of that "yeah, but..." syndrome, so can understand why you'd want to 'fix' the thing.
I think the simplest thing is to disassemble that @#$ thing again and take a very good look at it in general. Anything you may have missed the first time around? Something not quite 'right'? What should you look for? How would I know, I don't have one of those antennas. But look anyway.
SMA connectors.
I hate those @#$ things! If the original connector is damaged, just adding an adaptor of some kind that uses that original connector probably isn't going to be the best idea in the world. If that adaptor is used instead of the original connector, that's a different story. Hope you/they know how to install them.
As for that "wizzing or whurring" thingy, it -could- be a product of a 'not right' connection somewhere. Certainly won't say that's the problem, but from the circumstances, it could be. (Or maybe 'Momma Nature' just doesn't like you anymore?)

I wish I could give you a specific answer, but there are just too many things that could be the problem. Best answer I can think of is to take a closer look at things, see if you can find a problem. Next best answer is to beat the @#$ thing to death with a very large hammer. Doesn't fix anything, but it's very satisfying!
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Marc,

if you remember what the match was like on the antenna when you originally installed it on either or both of the bands (2M/70CM) check it again and see if it's changed at all. that will tell me whether or not anything is "missing".

i haven't forgotten about the "whirring" noise.

I don't know what the values are, I don't even have a meter.

I use the antenna for my VX-8r while I'm in the car. It worked great too! At least I think it did.

It sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Maybe I should get another antenna?

Then the question of what kind?!

Thanks,
Marc

Ooh, I like the sound of that already! I don't understand it though.

The great thing about the Hershey Kiss is it's very little. Sitting on top of my black suburban, no one knew it was there. And I could quickly take it off and stick it on the ac unit in a motel when out of town and needed to use my radio for work. It packed well in my lap-top case too!

Are you aware of or could you recommend another magnetic antenna that might offer the same features?

Thanks again for your help and advice!

Marc Duncan

There are a lot of small 2m/440 mag mount antennas. I have one of those little antennas like you have also and they work OK for what they are, but they're not real durable. Larson makes some decent small 2m/440 mag antennas that are better quality. Take a look at those to see if you can find something that you like.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.