• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WLW 500 Kilowatt transmitter

The joke was always a good one. Mail order bride.

The last few dozen miles to the Horsehead didn’t need trail markers. It was animal skeletons and graves all the way.
That would make me think I was on the wrong road! Only forty more dead horse carcasses to horse head!

Horse-Head Crossing in about 1852.

Don’t need no mescal . . it’s only a few more steps. And a few more. And a few more (as thirst does the rest of the hallucinations).

One of the mules got lamed. And shouldn’t have taken a day to bury the wife. Now, nothing much matters on this Earth.

A burning bush with a voice would be welcomed.

Been pondering that bit of information, rolling it upon thy pallet. What movie was that out of?

Reactions: Slowmover
QUOTE="Redbeard U812, post: 704042, member: 52802"]

Been pondering that bit of information, rolling it upon thy pallet. What movie was that out of?[/QUOTE]

The real thing. From the 49ers establishing Dallas as the place to cross the combined forks of the Trinity River.

The trip from San Antonio for those on the southernmost route to Cali was making the HH crossing of the Pecos River in X-days. Or, you died. Usually after livestock, then the wife and children.

Voices from the flames would be neither weird nor unwelcome. Unlike a bad drunk. No end of creosote bush out there.

C. L. Sonnichsen and others on the early days of El Paso (for your library).

Think there’s a reason stories like this no longer told?

A boy who made that crossing could have tuned WLW an old man.

Below is Johnny Mann Singers,
“My Country”

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
QUOTE="Redbeard U812, post: 704042, member: 52802"]

Been pondering that bit of information, rolling it upon thy pallet. What movie was that out of?

The real thing. From the 49ers establishing Dallas as the place to cross the combined forks of the Trinity River.

The trip from San Antonio for those on the southernmost route to Cali was making the HH crossing of the Pecos River in X-days. Or, you died. Usually after livestock, then the wife and children.

Voices from the flames would be neither weird nor unwelcome. Unlike a bad drunk. No end of creosote bush out there.

.[/QUOTE]
No longer told, nor video....video unavailable. Hmmmm.

I Think you meant this...

My Dad used to listen to this stuff...as well as Grampa'

Both served in one form or another...

A boy who made that crossing could have tuned WLW an old man.

Below is Johnny Mann Singers,
“My Country”

I Think you meant this...

My Dad used to listen to this stuff...as well as Grampa'

Both served in one form or another...

Sounds like church. Not a bad thing. But just can't make out the words. I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out the other. Tone deaf too. Real bitch.

Horse-Head Crossing in about 1852.

Don’t need no mescal . . it’s only a few more steps. And a few more. And a few more (as thirst does the rest of the hallucinations).

One of the mules got lamed. And shouldn’t have taken a day to bury the wife. Now, nothing much matters on this Earth.

A burning bush with a voice would be welcomed.

I have heard these words before......was I there? Damned ghost people been talking to me again. I should have buried the mule with her.

A choir or chorale often used in radio right into the 1960s. 15-minute programs morning, noon and near dinner. Live from the studio. Intervals that marked the passage of the day. Borrowed from monastery life.

Early radio (WLW may have been among them) created “moments”. At the barbershop or at the diner, everyone paused.

Wandering thru the western Texas desert so as to avoid the Comanche farther north was indelible experience.

Love of country was promoted via the same emotional paths as what the Church used. All recognized it’s secular power. Business stopped. Arguments put on hold. The day given a new start. Indelible moments however much gentler (seeing the reactions of others).

Harnessing Gods Power (electricity::radio) was more than one type of flame. In a dark room (setting sun) those tubes created a wavering fire from the back of the cabinet against the wall. A voice.

Maybe a Saturday night preacher reminded an ancient man of boyhood tragedy with the same Gospel verses that got him to the riverbank.

(I miss the wonder with which we considered these creations:, Radio, steam engines, piston airliners).

Voice from the Flame is as ancient an image as is possible.

Reactions: Handy Andy
CalvinHobbesMaturity.jpg

What does this have to do with the WLW transmitter?

Everything...yet, Nothing.

It was wireless, Ether - voices from the sky.

Couldn't hold it or keep it in a jar - it was just "there"

Radio was a means for a child to use their imagination - and yet a powerful tool to learn of the world we live in.

FamilyTimeCB.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.