• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wolf Radio/ Mr Coily Base....???

I didn't want this to turn into an I10K debate. Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

I have the Mr. Coily Enforcer .64 and it creams the antrons/imax and maco v58/v5000, with ease. I have dumped over 10KW bird into it with no problems. I calculated it has about a 4x mult. factor since it is a very efficient antenna, it has positive gain (forget your textbook theorys, I test with multiple stations and multiple antennas, and different power levels and find that 100 watts into the coily is like 400 erp roughly, whereas 100 watts into a A99 is like 70 watts erp.)

yessiree, forget the textbook theory, astrophysics, laws of gravity & einsteins theory of relativity. i say that XXX antenna outperforms YYY antenna, so therefore it is the best. the i10k, coily, wolfpoint .64 & maco v5/8 are all the same antenna. sure, they use slightly different feeds, and at different heights, one MAY show a different PATTERN then the other. one MAY get out better on DX then the other, AT THAT PARTICULAR MOMENT. but, for all intents & purposes, the BEST antenna (of the above) is the one YOU bought-whether you paid $79 or $450. i WILL bet the $100 & guarantee that in real life, any set with an analyzer & good coax will show NO NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE from the others. or be the best EVERY TIME. there is NO real way to compare them. all of them set up on the same house would inevitably show a skewed pattern do to their proximity to each other. on a test field, miles apart, atmoshere, trees, barometric pressure differences, etc would/could again skew the reults to however the tester wanted them. putting one up for a few days/weeks then swapping for another would again not take into consideration all the possible differences. you cannot change the science of the same antenna. while jogunn's may be built like the proverbial tank, a 5 element yagi is a 5 element yagi. you may be able to optimize F to B & fwd gain, but you CANNOT get a 5 element yagi to show the gain/rejection of a 7 element yagi. same with ground palne-type antennas. you may optimize takeoff angle, capture area, feed efficiency, but you're NEVER going to get it to show the gain of a 3 element yagi. again, design quirks may assist the alleviation of RFI, but, proper grounding, quality coax, clean radio, etc-which SHOULD be done anyway, are cheaper then a $450 antenna. if you're running crap & getting rfi with a v5/8, you'll STILL get rfi with the coily, just being $450 lighter. yes, eddie wolf is no longer building CB antennas. he plans on building broadcast antennas only & has no longterm plan to build cb antenna again. he also states what i have stated above. as for steve & dan....NEITHER of them will make the alleged claims of 'SUPER ANTENNA'. they both say to read their customers' testimonials & make your own decision. they sound like competant, trustworthy infomercial-i mean-businessmen to me! based on THEIR comments on THEIR own products, i WOULD buy THEIR products on those merits. if i had the $450 to spend. the maco v5/8 i own IS the ultimate antenna. and, i can buy 5 or more of them, which i'm sure would outlast the expected lifespan of any $450 antenna.

Reactions: CDX-007
maybe i don't have the 'best' BUILT antenna. but for $295, i can buy 3 maco's & have $$ left to buy a 3 year subscription to 'that other forum's' catalog, so i don't forget the v5/8 part number. for $450, i can buy 5 maco's & get the subscription. then again, my maco has been around longer then it seems some of you have been into radio. (i know i know, you've all been into CB since the 1950's. starting to sound like another forum again). just like going from 1000 watts to 1100 watts, going from the v5/8 to any of the others won't make a spit bit of difference. just a lighter wallet, & more to brag about.

davegrantsr said:
maybe i don't have the 'best' BUILT antenna......

(snip)

(i know i know, you've all been into CB since the 1950's. starting to sound like another forum again). just like going from 1000 watts to 1100 watts, going from the v5/8 to any of the others won't make a spit bit of difference. just a lighter wallet, & more to brag about.
My "best" comment was just some friendly ribbing. You did see the winks, right?

This forum is not like any other on the net. You have to agree that for the most part, everyone has the freedom to post their views without moderation.

I will tell you this, swapping out an I-10K for any other antenna shows an improvement on both transmit and receive. Its all about the more efficient feedpoint. If you were in Southern CA, I'd bring one over to your house, set it up, and prove it to you. This is how I've lost 3 or more of my antennas. I put it up and they won't let me take them back down.

Its not bragging rights. Its a fact seen by many many people from all over the USA and parts of the world. Can they ALL be wrong? I know a few people have had some problems with their I-10K. When I've seen it locally, it was usually due to assembly errors or the failure to read the instructions.

People are in a hurry to spend $400.00+ on a crappy Galaxy base radio, yet scream when paying just under $300.00 for a QUALITY antenna. It baffles me! These are the same guys who will squeeze the last possible watt out of an amp or their radio, yet burn it all up in heat in a less efficient antenna. Go figure.

Now I understand that not everyone can or will pay for a quality radio station. I tell people all the time, "If you can't or won't pay for an I-10K, then buy a Maco V58; it's a good antenna."

I also see local "antenna experts" who can not get better than a 1.3:1 to 1.7:1 match with their Maco. They are amazed when I get a perfect 1.0:1. The MACO is a good antenna. The I-10K is better. It's that simple and frankly, indisputable, and I have proved it over and over.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.