• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Woodpeckers on 11mtr?

Chop: I'd say that's the same transmitter you recorded as well. Now it looks like they are throwing in a few extras.

SmackDown: That was my first thought as well, some kind of discouragement but I don't think really anyone would waste the effort.

The real russian woodpecker was a pulse at 10Hz.
Very short pulse with fast rise/fall, like ignition spark.
The sounds you record from CB radios are sweeping in frequency as they are transmitting, and at a faster rate than 10Hz.

Definitely not the Woodpecker, Russian or otherwise. I remember it VERY well. That sounds like data, possibly BPL or wireless power or water usage meters perhaps.

somebody posted on my video on youtube. they said something about superdarn hf radar?? i have no idea what that is. i suppose it's plausible.

something about superdarn hf radar?
pappy.gif
I found this: SuperDARN News - SuperDARN is a network of high-frequency (HF) radars that was developed to study the motion of plasma in the Earth’s high-latitude ionosphere.

Well, I've gone though the first boring PowerPoint presentation at SuperDARN and got some basics out of it. Has anyone gone through them ALL and got anything simple as what frequencies they are using? This little fact seems to be elusive.

the original russian woodpecker was the duga 3 over the horizon radar system based near chernobyl in the ukraine.

about ten years back (2000-2001) i heard a signal that was rising in frequency slowly across the 11m band, it gives the impression its a multi tone signal,but its actually moving in frequency as you can track it easily,possibly a two tone signal that moves about 1khz per 10 seconds, if you go to the channel above the one you hear it on you'll hear it coming onto frequency and changing tone as it passes centre frequency,peaking in signal as it hits centre frequency, most likely another oth radar system,

i've noticed people on other forums have been talking about it recently,whatever it is, its a very very strong signal. sadly i didn't have access to a spectrum display/analyser to be more accurate about the signal content as i was out on top of a hill static mobile at the time..

Well, I've gone though the first boring PowerPoint presentation at SuperDARN and got some basics out of it. Has anyone gone through them ALL and got anything simple as what frequencies they are using? This little fact seems to be elusive.
i too have looked to see what freqs the superdarn uses......... sadly, to no avail.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.