• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Workman PS35 Review

I didn't replace the fan, although it is a standard computer fan size. It was hardwired to some board inside, so I just cut the positive wire and put an on/off switch in line and mounted it on the front. I got pics and also took some of the innards and the rear heatsink for anyone interests.

Attachments

• workman-ps35-061805272013.jpg
    workman-ps35-061805272013.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 11
  • workman-ps35-cooling-fins1.jpg
    workman-ps35-cooling-fins1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 9
  • workman-ps35-fan-switch.jpg
    workman-ps35-fan-switch.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 9
  • workman-ps35-fan-switch2.jpg
    workman-ps35-fan-switch2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 8
  • workman-ps35-new-switch.jpg
    workman-ps35-new-switch.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: S&W357
I let it run for about an hour with no load and the fan off, then shut it down and let it drain. The big transformer was stone cold. Not sure what it would take to make it warm, but with what I have on it at this point is not ever going to do it.

I bought it cause on a limited income, you buy one thing at a time. LOL The real amp is coming next and that will make it work. Then I will see.

The price was right, from Redman Cb Inc. Shipping was very fast, and the delivery date was revised to 4 days earlier than scheduled, I guess that would be an advertising ploy from UPS. A nice touch with a 3 day holiday coming up.

First impression was, this sucker is heavy, 29 pounds. I got it out of the box and right away looked for any damages. The box was OK, it had an outer box with fiberglass strapping on it, then an inner box for the PS. Both were in good condition. But, by the outerbox, which came from China to some warehouse here, told the story, it had never been opened since leaving the factory. The PS itself was very well protected with big high density foam inserts holding the PS away from any box damage.

So looking around the power supply itself, it is nice and solid, a full metal jacket, good feet on it. The Cons were that the Voltage meter was in the hole but loose. [You can see the glue where I glued it in tight.] I could get a finger nail under one side and pull it out a bit, but not all the way. The Amp meter was nice and tight. The meters are not lighted. The AC cord is cheap plastic covered wires, nothing in the quality neighborhood of say a computer cord and no third prong ground nor wide prong for polarity.

On the front are two posts for + and - connection. I might have preferred they were in the back. These are hollow posts and the screw caps do come off to use either a spade tip or a full circle tip connector. I happened to have a set of jumpers in my electronics drawer with expanding tips that also just happened to fit into the hollow posts, so I cut these in half and soldered and heat shrinked the red and blacks of the amp together for a solid connection.

Also on the front and the main reason I bought this model is a dial to adjust voltage. This is a big plus for me. At present I am using a RM KL 200-P amp, that I wanted to feed with more than the 12.07vdc it was getting from my salvaged computer PS. I could only manage about 60 to 65 watts from it without over driving it from the radio. With the Workman running at 13.97vdc, I am getting a nice steady 98w. A big payoff.

Next, low center, is a small lamp which lights green and shows power I guess. Then to the right is the rocker on-off switch. A nice large and solid switch which also lights up, so that little green lamp is redundant.

What I don't care for is the internal fan. It is loud and it seems it is getting louder. There are big heat fins on the back and I doubt I will ever drive this power supply to the point it gets warm, let alone hot.
Just saw your post and I know it was awhile back, But did it come with a schematic? I am working on one that has been modified and needs to be un-modified . kc4ubc@yahoo.com

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.