• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxon SMA to SO-239 adapter concern

fortyfiver

Jul 6, 2011
I got one of Wouxon's SMA to SO 239 adapters with my KG-UVD1. Fits the radio just fine but none of my PL259s thread onto it correctly or fully. Doesn't seat far enough and would let the center conductor pull back quite a ways.

So I figured I got a bad one and ordered three more from Wouxon US. (Top notch supplier in my opinion!) These three all act the same. Not a good fit on the coax side.

Now - I know your question: "Are the PL259s correct?"

Several of them are brand new Amphenols (I buy them in quantity) and some are brand new pre-made cables like from Radio Shack or various other suppliers. They all work perfectly on any other SO239 fitting I have. The Radio Shack SMA to SO-239 adapter CABLE I got works with any PL259 I have.

Anyone else experience this? Would it be an issue if the center conductor DOES crawl back a quarter inch or so? I don't have a 2M SWR meter so I can't check to see if that's an issue unless I use an old 11M SWR meter to just see if it changes.

Also, anyone else try RS's SMA to 239 cable adapter? I want it to help relieve a little strain and movement when I buckle the HT up to the mobile antenna. I'm wondering if there's a lot of signal leakage or if the match suffers.

Thread title error

:oops: Sorry - that thread title should read "...SO239...". Of course.

Being a HAM of advanced age, I should by now have learned to wear my secondary vision devices when I type! If any administrator can fix that I'd be grateful since I can't edit the title. Or I can just go on for eternity as a doofuss who doesn't know his connectors from his, um...elbow!

I have had the same thing with a couple connectors/adapters. It's not really a good idea to have the connector fit loose. One trick you could do is to cut off about 1/4 inch of the barrel shield using a hacksaw and a vice. Be carefull doing it and file the edge after taking care not to leave any filings inside the connector. Short of that (no pun intended) you would have to replace the connector or adapter. Some connectors have a shorter shield barrel while some adapters are simply short on threads like the ones you have now.

new adapters fail too

The newest SMA to SO239 adapters I received finally, yesterday, from a different vendor, are also not right. With new Amphenol PL259 connectors these adapters also allow only about three threads depth before the PL259 binds. That leaves the center conductor sleeve slipping in and out as much as 3/8", and that just can't be good.

For now I'll stick with the cable-type adapter which may just be a far better idea anyway considering it puts very little strain on the antenna jack when using the mobile antenna.

Odd. I have two adaptors for that SMA/PL-259 thingy. Both work, they're just different 'styles'. One is the type you've got, but has sufficient threads to mate well (no idea where I got it). The other is a Radio Shack adaptor, has a length of RG-174/316(?) cable between each end connector. It works also, just not too convenient at times, 'wiggly', sort of.
Sounds like someone goofed on the design, or want's to get rid of some 'seconds'?
- 'Doc

SMA to SO230 adapter issue

I'm using a cable-type adapter like that from Radio Shack and it is a bit unruly. But it works. The thin RG174 bothers me especially right at the metal connectors since it looks like a shear-point to me. So I added some shrink tubing to it and I like that better.

Don't know about the "parts dumping" idea. The first one I got from the "409 Shop" in Hong Kong when I bought the radio. The next couple I picked up from Wouxon US and my guess is they're Chinese as well. Exact same appearance. These last ones I got form Universal Radio in Ohio and they are slightly different looking and appear to be a better quality material, but they don't fit the PL259s either. Could be only one source on the Chinese side. I don't know if Amphenol lists one but if they do I'd like to try one.

I will add that much to their credit as a top-notch supplier, Wouxon US has credited my account for the connectors without argument! We have some excellent suppliers with well-deserved reputations out there for us.

The cable adapter you use is a better setup in my opinion. With the bigger coax on top of that SMA to SO-239 you get a lot of "torque" twisting on the top of the radio.

At least with the little coax there is not as much heavy coax pulling on the connector.

I found this on eBay, don't know if it is any better :unsure:

SMA FEMALE TO SO-239 ADAPTER CLICK HERE

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.