• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxun KG-UV8D

I like the big display, but wonder what it does to battery life. And do any of these guys make a tri-band HT (2 meters,220, 440) that is any good?

Brett

First I've heard of it. Sounds like a nice radio, maybe. But then again, I'll see when it is being sold, if it lives up to it's advertising, and what the price is. Their mobile radio didn't quite make expectations...
- 'Doc

I have one of the new KG UV8D hand held units and it's great. I'ts got a true dual band vfo. It has 2 signal meters that actually work, unlike the Baofeng's which use an icon that says you have a signal or you dont. The Wouxun, has an amazing receiver, and the cross banding feature works like a charm with the battery eliminator either in the car or plugged into a small switching power supply by a window and hooked to a small mag mount on a metal tray. This works very well for my local repeater that I can hear but am not full quieting into on the hand held from indoors inside a brick home.

The batter life is good, it's a 1700 Mah battery, and I also have the 2600 Mah as a spare that I ordered out of Hong Kong. The display is really nice, it's colorful, and very bright.

The only down side is when the display is set to timeout like up to 20 seconds, it will be black and you wont know if the radio is on or off so many people leave the display on all the time. I found that this will cut down on battery life, but not by too much. It would be nice also if Wouxun put a tiny green light to let you know if the unit is on or off. Other than that the radio is very nice . It feels great, it's heavy which I like, has great balance on the table, and I use an aftermarket antenna, which is about 18 inches long with a small center loaded coil, it's amazing and it's an RH 901S .

Youc charging base also has a 12 Volt input so you can put it in the car and charge it that way if you like and it will work while it's in the charger base also.

I look for Wouxun to make some improvements in it soon, and they also have a 2 meter/ 220 mhz dual bander in this configuration as well. Will be out this year some time.

I think they have a winner in this KG UV8D , and if you get one, make sure you buy a good screen protector, because as with most big screens and cell phones they will scratch easily. I have a real good screen cover on mine....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.