• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxun KG-UV920R VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver Review

Some of these are on close out for $230 on eBay. Even with some of the issues, it should be live able at that price.

I just wanted to make one important note about the cables used on this rig for the head to body connection and the mike cord. It is very important to bear in mind that the cable from the head to the body is not a standard "straight through" network cable, nor is it an A/B crossover. This cable swaps pins 2 and 4 between the two ends of the cable, so you'll have to either crimp your own cables or buy the factory cable. On the mike cord things get a little stranger, so look over the pins carefully before replacing the mike cord.

Moving on with the review, I've been experimenting with the cross band repeat modes on this rig. Yes, I said modes, plural. Most rigs that offer cross band repeat have one mode V/U or U/V, this one has four modes, and I'll be darned if I can see why or how they'd be useful.

The first mode is what they call X-DIRPT, which is a one-way type of repeating. This takes anything coming in on the master VFO and sends it back out on the secondary VFO, but that's all. It does not go from the secondary to the master. The next mode is X-TWRPT, which is the same type of V/U or U/V cross banding we're all familiar with. Whatever comes in on either frequency gets sent back out on the other frequency.

The next two modes, CRPT-TX and CRPT-RX, require two of these radios working together, connected by a data cable between them. In this type of setup one radio acts as the receiver and the other acts as the transmitter. How this is more useful than X-TWRPT mode escapes me unless, and I really don't see how they could do it without cans, it allows for in-band repeating, or possibly relaying. Since I only have one of these for now (though that $230 eBay price with free shipping is tempting me sorely) I can't experiment with these last two modes, so I can only guess at how they are supposed to work. The instruction manual merely calls this setup a relay station, which to me seems to imply that the same frequency is used on both the receive and the transmit, and I can't imagine how they could accomplish that without feedback.

Moving on with the review, I've been experimenting with the cross band repeat modes on this rig. Yes, I said modes, plural. Most rigs that offer cross band repeat have one mode V/U or U/V, this one has four modes, and I'll be darned if I can see why or how they'd be useful.

The first mode is what they call X-DIRPT, which is a one-way type of repeating. This takes anything coming in on the master VFO and sends it back out on the secondary VFO, but that's all. It does not go from the secondary to the master. The next mode is X-TWRPT, which is the same type of V/U or U/V cross banding we're all familiar with. Whatever comes in on either frequency gets sent back out on the other frequency.

The next two modes, CRPT-TX and CRPT-RX, require two of these radios working together, connected by a data cable between them. In this type of setup one radio acts as the receiver and the other acts as the transmitter. How this is more useful than X-TWRPT mode escapes me unless, and I really don't see how they could do it without cans, it allows for in-band repeating, or possibly relaying. Since I only have one of these for now (though that $230 eBay price with free shipping is tempting me sorely) I can't experiment with these last two modes, so I can only guess at how they are supposed to work. The instruction manual merely calls this setup a relay station, which to me seems to imply that the same frequency is used on both the receive and the transmit, and I can't imagine how they could accomplish that without feedback.

Sounds like the ability to make a table top repeater. Motorola radios can do this with a special cable. Two in-band radios and a power supply. You have me thinking now. Haha

Henry
Wired Installation LLC

This is an excellent review, thanks for all your time and effort into reviewing this radio.

As for cross banding, I prefer the Kenwood and the reason being is exactly what you said about remotely turning it on or off. The Kenwood can be set on , off, tx power change, freq changes , etc, almost anything you can think that you would need to do can be done right from your HT remotely and for me that is worth its weight in gold. I would love to just not have to be anywhere near the radio and be able to ,turn the cross band feature on, set the frequency , power levels etc, from anywhere that I would be in range of the rig. Would be great to be out in the mobile and be able to fire it up to get to the repeaters that I can't get into well enough in the mobile.

Great review, and it seems like a very capable radio for the price.

Great review, hopefully you can answer a question for me.

When you scan on one vfo, will the radio receive on the second vfo?

I have a wouxoun HT and it can either scan or dual receive, not both.

Just wondering if this mobile operates in a similiar fashion to their HTs.

Thanks.

Great review, hopefully you can answer a question for me.

When you scan on one vfo, will the radio receive on the second vfo?

I have a wouxoun HT and it can either scan or dual receive, not both.

Just wondering if this mobile operates in a similiar fashion to their HTs.

Thanks.

I never tried that and I don't currently have the rig installed where I can easily test this. When I do I'll try to remember to try it.

BTW, what truck you assigned to? I drove ambulances in NYC for 14 years, mostly Brooklyn.

Sent via the squirrel underground.

Lower Manhattan and then as a citywide supervisor, mostly Manhattan and the Bronx but occasionally Brooklyn and Queens. Retired about 13 years ago...

wouxon kg uv920 quality?

I have had 2 of these radios in the past 2 months. Both failed. Told Keisha at Wouxon I wanted a full refund and am currently awaitng a response. I will keep the thread posted on how they handle my situation. Been a ham for 20 years never had this happen befor. Good antenna match, actually the same set up I have run for years with my kenwood tm v71. No problems there

Reactions: 1 person
Good to know. I had a store steer me clear of them, as the fella told me that they had way too many returns on them and quit selling them. The HT's are another story, over 1000 sold and less than 1% had issues. I decided on a Kenwood V71A (Thanks Eric, Mad Scientist for the advice), and a Larsen 2/70B. Getting excellent reports!

I hope Wouxun can get this rig straightened out, because it would be a good value if they can work out the bugs.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.