• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WTB B&K 1040 ServiceMaster

Me too, have been lookin are for a couple years. All I've found have taken age pretty hard.

I let one go on fleabay yesterday that sold for $300 + shipping and tax of course.
It was stated by the seller to be like new condition. The way the bidding was going, it appeared that it would take at least $350 to $400 to get it. You know it would need recapped at a bear minimum. I could not see investing that much money in 40 year old tech. That money would be better spent towards a 30mhz signal generator or the Siglent SAA3021X.

I have decided that i can get more done with a 200mhz scope / Sinadder 5 / Bird 43's / signal generator / freq counter and spectrum analyzer. I have everything except a signal meter and the spectrum analyzer. Im going to let the idea of using 40 year old B&K stuff go. Unless i run across one on the cheap, Im going to stop looking.
Im not a tech but im trying to learn and having the above list of test equipment is needed. I have gathered most of it so i think i can get by without the 1040.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I started the test equipment journey looking at old HP / Agilent / IFR and the like test stations. The further i went down that road, I decided to drop the search and just buy individual components. My tiny brain finally realized that you have to pay more than half the price of a new spectrum analyzer for one that is 40+ years old, tech support / no warranty and maybe no parts to be had. It seemed to be stupid to pay over $1K for a 40 year old HP / Agilent / whatever brand when for $1600 you can buy a Siglent SAA3021x-Plus that has a 3 year warranty and can be hacked to unlock all the add ons.

That same logic finally kicked in yesterday when i was typing in my $350 max bid on the B&K1040 with 2 mins to go. I hit the backspace key and let it go to that one bidder that was hell bent on owning it. You can tell from the bid list that he was going to own it no matter the cost.
This thread should most likely be deleted as im no longer looking unless i can get one dirt cheap. I doubt that would happen.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.