• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu 757 GX for first HF rig?

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
I found a 757 GX with the matching auto tuner on craigslist. He is asking $400 for it but said it was negotiable. He said it works fine but he got a 991 for Christmas and wants some money for antennas. I couldn't really find any bad reviews, but I also didn't find a whole lot of info either. It isn't a bad radio for $350 or so, is it?
00000_kvdgB1INXWo_300x300.jpg

just to be sure,.. is it a GX or a GX II ?

if he s buying a 991(is that a cb?),then it was certainly used on CB and probably in AM mode

just to be sure,.. is it a GX or a GX II ?

if he s buying a 991(is that a cb?),then it was certainly used on CB and probably in AM mode
He said it is a GX. Is there a significant difference either way?

I was meaning a Yaesu 991a. I'm guessing that if he is willing to spend $1500 on a new radio, he probably takes care of them.

I found a 757 GX with the matching auto tuner on craigslist. He is asking $400 for it but said it was negotiable. He said it works fine but he got a 991 for Christmas and wants some money for antennas. I couldn't really find any bad reviews, but I also didn't find a whole lot of info either. It isn't a bad radio for $350 or so, is it?
View attachment 20823
Kind of a limited radio. If you have your general ticket get a radio that covers 160 meters through 6 meters. For that radio I would offer no more than $150.00. Unless the tuner comes with it. offer $300.00 and see if he'll take it.

If the radio has six meter band would be a newer radio and in better condition.

Last edited:
I just can't justify spending thousands of dollars on a radio that I have no idea if I will even use. I have spent lots of money for the best equipment for new hobbies before, and some of them didn't pan out. I really don't want to even mess with used stuff on the bay.

If I can get a good deal, I will probably get it. Worst case I sell a broken radio and a tuner on the bay for $150.

$400 is way too much and even $350 is too high for that radio. $250 would be more realistic unless you want to pay eBay prices. There are many newer radios that can be had for not much more money if you look around. I'd wait a while, save a few hundred more and buy a new hf radio.

I doubt there is, but is there any place I can find an unbiased comparison between the radios offered by the big three? I have a budget of $1000, so I will call it a firm $1250. It is proving to be hard for a preham to know the best radio to purchase for for a future ham.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated