• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

yaesu 857

I run a 897-D, It is also opened for full TX, never had a problem with it.
In fact it is an awesome radio, big enough to have all the features I need, and small enough to make a great portable rig for camping, and weekend outings.
I use a LDG AT-200 Pro with it...that, a battery,a home made balun and a long wire are a Station that I can throw in my truck and take anywere.

Jeff

AudioShockwav said:
I run a 897-D, It is also opened for full TX, never had a problem with it.
In fact it is an awesome radio, big enough to have all the features I need, and small enough to make a great portable rig for camping, and weekend outings.
I use a LDG AT-200 Pro with it...that, a battery,a home made balun and a long wire are a Station that I can throw in my truck and take anywere.

Jeff

Jeff,how do you hook up the long wire in your truck? :p

If that "long wire" is end-fed, what are you using as a counterpoise? The tuner might find a comfortable SWR, but without a counterpoise/radials it's going to be pretty inefficient.

You are correct, when Camping I run a counterpoise, and just throw it on the ground were I can. I have even used a ground rod, and counterpoise radials when I plan to stay more than a few days, but for short trips, the wire on the ground works fine. The tuner has always found a Match....It would be more effective to cut a dipole for each band, and hang it in the trees, but that is too much work. I compromise with a end feed because it is easy, and the tuner makes the radio happy.
I have to admit....I keep looking at the Budi-pole antenna system, I was that close to getting one, but I Shelled out the coins for the 200 Pro....maybe next time.
For now wire is cheap. ;)

Jeff[/quote]

AudioShockwav said:
You are correct, when Camping I run a counterpoise, and just throw it on the ground were I can. I have even used a ground rod, and counterpoise radials when I plan to stay more than a few days, but for short trips, the wire on the ground works fine. The tuner has always found a Match....It would be more effective to cut a dipole for each band, and hang it in the trees, but that is too much work. I compromise with a end feed because it is easy, and the tuner makes the radio happy.
I have to admit....I keep looking at the Budi-pole antenna system, I was that close to getting one, but I Shelled out the coins for the 200 Pro....maybe next time.
For now wire is cheap. ;)

Jeff
[/quote]

Yeah that buddy pole is lookin pretty good. It looks like it would be well worth it for those who do camping and that sort of thing.
73's

The PAR End-Fedz 20m is great for camping. Very convenient end-fed 1/2w. You could make one easily enough but they really aren't very expensive either, so they are convenient.

Plus 20m is a great portable band as it's relatively easy to make a good portable antenna for it.

For that camping antenna sort of thing I have a premade 61' per leg, center fed set of wires and a magical liittle device called a Dentron Jr. Monitor http://www.rigpix.com/accessories/dentron_jrmonitor.htm which is the best I've found for 300w pep and under. It BLOWS away my old MFJ tuner and I like the way it doesn't change the tuning when you put a paw on the knobs.

This tunes all bands from 10m-80m except 17m which it will tune but doesn't like it.
The performance is fantastic, except for the local 10m chit chat which is mostly vertical of course but occasionally I find someone on 10m with either a horizontal beam or an inverted vee for 10m.

I use 300ohm TV twin lead from the balanced connection on the tuner which enables me to tune basically anywhere and has quite a kick on 20m & 40m where it has some gain.

I've also had great luck with an end-fed 5 wave length which seems to have some decent gain on 20m, but that's about 350' long and I only use that when I camp well away from the general public and out in the "backwoods".

The 122' center-fed dipole works like crazy for a radius of about 500mi on 75m / 80m, especially in the evening, and on 60m I get outstanding reports. I've even been accused of running an amp on that 50w erp band when I'm rolling it back to about 35w!

It sure is a blast to go field-day-ing and build a real performer hanging from the trees.

Seventy trees

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.