• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu 857D High SWR

Medic4377

Jun 25, 2013
I have a Yaesu 857D that is experiencing high SWR which occurred on field day. I replaced everything from the antenna back to the radio with no change. I'm hoping someone may be able to help with the issue before I return it to Yaesu.

Hears Hoping!

You are sure the meter is set to read SWR are you? Yeah I know, a simple thing but I had to ask. Have you tried an external SWR meter? Do you have a dummy load to check it on? Are you plugged into the proper antenna jack? If the radio is showing high SWR on the internal meter straight into a dummy load then it is likely that the connection inside the radio going to the antenna jack is broken. This can happen from a lot of connect/disconnect cycles or rough handling of the antenna connector. I had an Icom IC-735 that showed high SWR with a dummy load directly connected to it. The short wire inside from the board to the antenna jack broke free from the board. A little solder and a replacement with a flexible piece of wire instead of the solid piece was all it took. I now have an FT-857D BT.

It is the SWR meter at the top of the screen that flashes on Tx. I did a factory reset several times over the 12 hr diagnosis with no success. I also tried put ting it on a manual tuner with no success. I have not opened the radio as it is under warranty and it may be going back. I love the radio though.

I Love mine aswell and have had not a single issue with it in the 4 years Ive had it. Sounds like theres an internal issue. aslong as you were using the correct antenna jack ( Anenna connection or SO-239 to the right when facing the radio)

It is the SWR meter at the top of the screen that flashes on Tx. I did a factory reset several times over the 12 hr diagnosis with no success. I also tried put ting it on a manual tuner with no success. I have not opened the radio as it is under warranty and it may be going back. I love the radio though.

OK It sounds like there is indeed an issue with it. OK.Probably just a broken connection between the jack and the board. I have had no issues with mine at all in the several years i have owned it. I did have the non-D model before that had a stability issue on 6m which was well documented but since then Yaesu switched to the D model and those issues went away.

I found that the swr on my radio (897D) was high during field day due to other radios transmitting at the same time. Could'nt figure it out for a good while. I had gotten to the site early, set up and tested everything.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1