• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU 990 KENWOOD 850 OR KENWOOD 940

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Which of these is a better choice in your opinions. And do all these have a seperate Mic gain from the RF power in ther words can I adjust the Mic gain and RF Power seperately or does the Mic gain control SSB :?: :?:

TonyV225,
Nothing particularly wrong with a TS-940, but it doesn't hold a candle to the TS-850.
After saying that, you should also realize that there are 'qwerks' with any radio. The '850 has one or two just like all the rest. There's really only one 'biggy', but it you pay attention that problem is easy to spot. It involves how the radios were originally made, some glue holding parts steady to the PCB becomes conductive over long periods of time (VCO-5). It isn't particularly expensive to cure, but is a real P.I.T.A. once you've gotten used to the radio, hate to not be using it - lol.
If I sound prejudiced, it's because I am! I have my second TS-850 now. The first one was bought when they first came out, and I flat wore it out. I figure something like 10-15 years from one radio ain't bad.
Something else to think about is that both the '850 and the '940 are old enough that there are none of the 'specialized' (proprietary) parts any more (except from "organ donors" like my old '850). That's common for any 'older' radio, not just Kenwood. Seriously, the '850 was the best transceiver Kenwood ever built, in my opinion. At least till you get into the 'range' where you'd have to be totally crazy to pay that kind'a money for a radio!
Can't say anything about the '990, never had one. But...

And, As everyone knows, If you ain't got a Kenwood, you got squat!
- 'Doc

I have a Kenwood TS-50 with the matching AT-50 auto antenna tuner thats a super rig just rock solid little work horse Ive also had 440-s and a few 430-s all were great radios. I have a 990 coming but had seen alot of good reviews on these 850 and looked at a 940 the only thing I thought about was as you stated (the age) of the radios and (availability) of parts

I've got a TS-50 & AT-50 too. Nice radio, not an '850 by any means but used it in the house till I found the 'new' '850. Now, if I can figure out where the @#$$ to mount it, it's going back in the truck. Oh, do you know how to 'turn on' the second decimal place on the TS-50 ... semi-permanently?
- 'Doc

TonyV225 said:
Which of these is a better choice in your opinions. And do all these have a seperate Mic gain from the RF power in ther words can I adjust the Mic gain and RF Power seperately or does the Mic gain control SSB :?: :?:
to exactly answer your question the 940 does have seperate
mic gain and rf power.im not sure about the other two though
and the 940 isnt really all that old.i got a 820s and still find parts for it.imho thats an olddie but goodie

TonyV225 said:
to exactly answer your question the 940 does have seperate
mic gain and rf power.im not sure about the other two though
and the 940 isnt really all that old.i got a 820s and still find parts for it.imho thats an olddie but goodie

Well I guess I am gonna try the Yaesu FT-990 I will pick it up Friday. I still will eventually pick these Kenwoods up to try them anyways. W5LZ I will have to look in the book or I have the service manual aswell what exactly are you looking to do??

TonyV225,
Turning the 'last' digit on in the display 'semi-permanently' is one of those 'hidden' thingys, isn't in any of the manuals. (There is an option to display that last digit by pressing one of the buttons on the mic.) This is a 'semi-permanent' thing because if power is ever completely removed from the TS-50, it reverts back to the normal display. This 'programming mod' is usually found in one of the 'mod' sites, does work, no possibility of doing damage. Turning on that last digit isn't a necessity, but just one of those 'nice' things to have.
- 'Doc

I was wondering why this was just a 6 digit and all my other HF rigs were a 7 digit. I am also interested in this Mod. I will search for this.

Double Zero display mod

Subject: Double Zero

How to put a double zero on TS-50 Frequency Display

First go to B menu and then to 70. Then program in (85) into 70. Then
press F-Lock (ON). Then press down PF4 button on mike and hold . Then
press Split button on radio and hold. Then release PF4 button on mike.
Then release Split button on radio. Then turn F-Lock (OFF). Then go
back to B-Menu to 70 and take out 85 or change the number.

If you wish to remove double zero just go to menu 70 and put 85 then
leave menu and press PF4 and release and the double zero will be gone.

I called Kenwood they said that the TS-50 does not have that capability the display is to small and theres no room for the Extra digit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.