• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FRG-8800 or Icom R-75?

Jmoog00

Aug 7, 2019
Hello, I am getting back into shortwave listening after drifting away from the hobby for many years. I would like to purchase a decent used tabletop SW receiver. My primary interest in SW is DXing distant signals and broadcasters.

About 15 years ago I borrowed a friend's Yaesu FRG-8800 for a couple of months and I really liked it. I was thinking of buying that model again but for about $100 to $200 more I could purchase an Icom R-75 which seems to be quite revered by SWL'ers. I have no experience with the R-75 myself.

Of these two models, which would you prefer personally? Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:

Well the Icom is triple conversion whereas the Yaesu is double so the Icom wins there. I had an Icom IC-735 HF transceiver which was triple conversion and it was bullet proof when it came to strong adjacent signals or even extreme high power in band or out of band signals. I had a 250 Kw navy transmitter 12 miles line of sight away so it came in handy. I can't speak of the Yaesu because I really have no idea however if Icom made that receiver as well as they made their HF amateur gear I would not hesitate to get it. BTW I am not biased towards Icom. In fact I own Icom, Yeasu, and Kenwood gear but I have been impressed with the Icom receivers.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.