• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU FT-1000d and Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX

cbkidd1

May 3, 2005
pa.
Morning to all,
I hope I am posting this In the right place? I have been watching a lot of you tube video's. Made by Bob Heil. One of his video's was on using a mixer board with a transceiver. So I decided to buy one. My radio Is a Yaesu ft-1000D. The mic I will be using Is a Heil goldline gm-4. And the mixer I just bought Is a Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX. Can anyone help me with how I should connect the mixer to my radio? I want to make sure I hook It up the right way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• alesis.jpg
    alesis.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 219

Bob Heil shows you how to wire one up on the HamNation video. Or, you can buy a W2IHY Ibox and hook it up that way. Your Alesis mixer has an XLR input, which you can use with your GM-4. Then you will come out of the mixer via the Main Out, and go to the Ibox, then from the Ibox to the rig. You can normally go either to the mic input on the front of the rig (8 pin connector), or to the back via the accessory port. If you get a bunch of RFI, get some snap on ferrites and put them on the cables. Alternatively, you can also just use the mic straight to the rig. ;)

Brett

Reactions: RatsoW8
Good Afternoon 2RT307,
Thank you for your help. There should be three wires coming off the mic cord. One + One - One Ground Does that sound right? Then I would take the 1/4 phone plug for mixer output. And add a 3 wire cord. I want it to be balanced but i don't think the plug will take the third wire that is used for RF ground. I have a patch in jack on back of my radio. That looks like the only place on the back side to run my audio input. Or like you said run the mixer audio output to my 8 pin mic jack on front of radio. I have not seen anyone post a video from start to finish on hooking up a mixer to a yaesu or any other Base transceiver on youtube. Again I appreciate all your help in hooking up the mixer.

I don't want to steer you wrong here... I was thinking you could use a standard xlr cable. I think the ptt switch throws a curve ball in there. From the Heil website:

"The ‘soft touch’ PTT switch is wired to pins 3 and 4 for transmit control. The microphone audio is fed to pins 1 (shield) and 2 of the four pin XLR. The Gold Elite uses the HEIL CC-1 Connecting Cables".

You might try emailing Heil to see if they can guide you on this... I am sure it has come up before.

Brett

You missed a very important componant - the isolation transformer between the mixer and radio. You can't just feed line audio from the mixer to an hf radios mic jack. That's whay Brett mentioned the iBox in his first post.

read here -> http://www.w2ihy.com/ibox.html
Yes, and as I mentioned, Bob Heil shows a hand drawn schematic in the Ham Nation video on how to make one. I know a lot of essb guys that use the iBox to hook up their rack gear, though... and for the build quality, it's not a bad price.

Brett

Evening,
I was thinking I could take off the 8 pin connector that go's to the radio. And put on the 3 pin xlr male plug and plug that into the input of mixer. Then plug in the 1/4 phone jack to the mixers output. Then on the other end of cord add another 1/4 jack and plug that into the ptt connector wired to the 8 pin connector into the radio. The microphone has it's own ptt switch. Will that not work?

No it will not. If you read the information in the link I posted above you wil understand why you just can't hook up line audio from the mixer or other rack device directly the mic jack of an hf radio. That gear isn't made to interface directly with hf radios. You have to have an a circuit between to isolate the audio, match impedance and signal level so it's can be input through the mic jack. Otherwise you'll have nothing but loud hum and distorted audio, if it even works at all.

Sorry for not getting back with you a lot sooner, The mixer I bought I had to return and forgot about the thread. I just bought another Alesis Multimixer 8 USB. I checked the link you sent for the iBox. Doesn't it just have a 600 Ohm Transformer inside it? This time I have a D104 Desk microphone I want to hook up to the Mixer. I can't really find a video from anyone who shows step by step on wiring the microphone into the Mixer back to the radio. Thank's for the help I appreciate your help. 73,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.