• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-60R??

thercman

Feb 9, 2012
I have been reading many reviews and threads on different HT's. I want one for camping and I can use my mobile cross band repeater if I need to. With that said what do you all think of this radio? Do you have one? How has it held up for you? Would you buy it again or pick something like a $115 Wouxun as back pack radio?

I've owned both and traded them off. I liked both of them.

For camping use...

I would go for the Wouxun. Has a flashlight, extra batteries are cheap and it has FM radio reception.

Thanks... I like the idea of the FM radio too.. What I was running into it this. After the cost of the Wouxun, USB cable and extra antenna the price is $166.63 and the Yaesu w/antenna is $189.90... So for the $23 dollars difference, would you still get the Wouxun over the Yaesu? Please compare the pros and cons of each. Was one sturdier? You sold each off, would recommend something else?

Oh, what I like about the Yaesu over the Wouxun is weather alert, the wider scanning range up to 999.990mhz, and 1000 memories.

You also get the software for programming included in that price with the Wouxun. The price on the Yaesu goes up once you add the programming cable and software.

Is the software a must have? I have a Mac.... All the software is written for Windows. FAIL on the companies part.. IMO

I have a FT-60R and it works VERY well for me, never had the programing software as I prefer to manual program to learn the radio, that way if I am out and need a different freq. for some reason I don't need a computer to do so.

Reactions: 2 people
Hearing great reviews on the Wouxon battery life. The Ft-60R I had didnt seem to have a long life at all. Also not lithium but nicad I think. I bought it for wide receive but now the wouxon has a fairly wide receive as well.

Hearing great reviews on the Wouxon battery life. The Ft-60R I had didnt seem to have a long life at all. Also not lithium but nicad I think. I bought it for wide receive but now the wouxon has a fairly wide receive as well.

You might need to check your pack. You mentioned nicad, which is wrong.
NIMH pack. I get outstanding life on the 3 packs I have. Anyone can get a dead cell.
I love my Ft 60R. I went with it simply because the Chinese radios have not been out long enough to see what kind of service they get.

As for battery price, I bought a pack on ebay straight from China. I got it and a 4hour desk charger for lest than most people sell the battery for. They said 15 day delivery, and that was spot on.

Not sure if the Woxon will cross band or not. That was a huge selling point for me. I have an 8800R in my truck for that reason.

Also, I have heard very few complaints on either. Ditto not needing the software on the FT 60R. That radio is super easy to program.

The only drawback is it's not waterproof, but your going to pay for that option.

You might want to check the price again. A friend of mine just bought an FT 60R from HRO. $169.95 delivered.

Grogan,
They are 1400mah Nickel-Metal Hydride. They are way out dated. You would think that a company would want to keep its products updated. Many people on forums mention FM radio capability on their HT as well as longer lasting batteries. It's not tike Yaesu would need to retool anything by swapping out a battery and opening up 87-108.... I really want the aircraft frequencies though. I am going to look for replacement batteries by other manufactures...

I think hamcity has a better price than hro. It seems I find better prices at hc than hro...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.