• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-7800R Review

westtexan

Jun 15, 2011
I've been running my Yaesu FT-7800 for over five years. The dual-band 2m/70cm is great and meets all of my local repeaters needs. I have yet to try any packet radio, though it advertises a data port for connecting a TNC. The buttons are few, multi-functional, and somewhat non-intuitive, so I had to refer to the manual often for programming. I use the multiple memory banks often while traveling, but have yet to realize the full potential of the "hyper" memories.

The handiest feature by far is the detachable face plate. It uses a standard 6-wire phone connector so I have been able to make my own extension cables. I currently have the base section in a closet and I'm running the remote unit via standard CAT6 cable to another room. The only catch is that audio is still on the base unit, so I had to be creative to get that audio to the other room. Fortunately I have a "server" PC in the closet that can feed the audio over the network. This gives me the advantage of out-of-sight UPS and antenna connections with the ability to control the radio from any room with a CAT6 drop (effectively my whole house)

Attachments

• IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 391

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.