Supposedly grounding is the big issue here. The rig and antenna sem to get confused if you don't have a good ground. Also, I have also added a couple of ferrite chokes to the remote cable near the junction, and that has reduced some noise on the receive end.
I got home today after a long qso while mobile in Oklahoma and talking to a guy in Louisiana and another in south Texas on 40 meters. Very good reports from both of them, and they were both coming in strong. I went to demount the antenna when I got home, and the whole assembly swiveled. This is my mount that swiveled while trying to unscrew, not the antenna. I may need to use some Loc-tite on the parts that I don't want to move. My Atas-120A is mounted on the side of the trunk lid as well. I have found that manually moving the antenna via the up/down buttons vs. using the tune function gets you closer to the correct match and avoids any "hunting" issues.
Also, there is a new firmware update that is supposed to take care of the settings/memory issues. I have downloaded it, and plan to install it over the weekend.