• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-920 MARS

Tom G

May 3, 2015
Savannah, Ga (EM92)
qrz.com
Hi All,

I know this is going back some, but does anyone have complete instructions for opening the 920 for MARS?
My serial number is 7F030408, and I've done the following vis a post here, but without positive results (and thankfully no negative ones either-that I know of):
1. clipped the green wire under the DSP unit

2. pressed and held STEP and LOCK while powering on

3. Entered " 1 9 8 4 1 2 9" and pressed enter.

Still unbale to xmit outside the band, and seem to think I need to tell the rig it can xmit. Similar to the 5Mhz mod where the F-menu is accessed.

Can anyone out there help in this area?

Thanks,
TomG-KG3Z

When I bought my FT-920 in the 90's there was software available to change the transmit range from one continuous block or small blocks just outside bands. I even think that Yaesu offered the software. Its lost to me on a dead computer.

I just bought a 920 and its problem is that the screen is empty (only dark orange back light). There is no short (draws only a little over 1amp) and the relay clicks when turned on as usual but no audio in speaker or led's in front. Is it worth repairing?

I just bought a 920 and its problem is that the screen is empty (only dark orange back light). There is no short (draws only a little over 1amp) and the relay clicks when turned on as usual but no audio in speaker or led's in front. Is it worth repairing?
Hard to say if it is worth it or not.
I would look for an FT-920 group on group.io or a Yaesu group on Facebook.
The Fox Tango International Yaesu Users Group web page may lead you to some repair answers.
You have some homework to do!

Maybe it's just my perception, but Yaesu radios don't seem to age as well as Kenwood's or Icom's. I had a couple of Yaesu's in the 1990's and they were both fantastic when new but not so great at about 15 or 20 years old. Both failed from PLL problems.
My Kenwood 140S on the other hand is 30 years old and as good as new.......
I've read and heard of several cases lately where people bought used Yaesu gear and had problems with it...... I guess like anything else these days it's buyer beware with used gear.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.