• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT2DR?

Mustang-Tech

Apr 26, 2009
yaesu_ft2dr_4.jpg

It looks like it's got a nice big screen, that's for sure. I wonder how many of the Yaesu "system fusion" users there really are, though? Yaesu must be banking on "if we build it, they will come".

http://www.systemfusioninfo.com/Repeaters

Looks like they have put repeaters in a lot of places. I have a new FT2-DR inbound from AES and am looking forward to trying it (as well as to having a large screen/touchscreen handheld to easily configure and input freqs on the run.

It looks like it's got a nice big screen, that's for sure. I wonder how many of the Yaesu "system fusion" users there really are, though? Yaesu must be banking on "if we build it, they will come".

Battery consumption may be a big issue for these radios. I have an FT1D, and barely get 8 hours of monitoring time (with the GPS turned off), using the supplied 1800mAh battery.
I ordered a 2000 mAh battery and rapid charger from Batteries America, because I definitely needed the spare battery power with this radio. (By contrast, my cheap Baofeng UV-82 could monitor for days on a charge).
The FT2D come with the 2200mAh battery, but of course, Yaesu wants twice as much as the (slightly less amperage) BA battery.
One other complaint with my FT1D...the stock antenna does not seem to be very good. I will probably have to get an aftermarket antenna. Might be a downside of having the wide band RX of these radios, and trying to supply an antenna that works for such wide RX.
I have seen a big influx of Fusion repeaters throughout S.E. Pennsylvania since Yaesu offered the repeater promotion to clubs.

Any new news on these radios? battery issues or other wise?

Sounds like it will do both fusion and aprs, both directly from the hand held ie, no additional software, laptop, tablet, or droid phone hook up, or external gps etc.

i'm just looking into these on youtube.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.