• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 APRS Review

Excellent review

I purchased my FTM-350R about two weeks ago and updated the firmware to V1.2 released on 11/04/10 and i'm very impressed with this radio.

It replaced my old Yaesu FT-8800R,which was my first rig.With the excellent review from Moleculo and contributions from other members,i was able to setup the new radio easily.(y)

Hello All..

I have been reading this since the 350R talked about and then when ( i can't remember how to spell his name right now..) so i Will just call him Mr. M. got his from HRO and stuff..

Very informative, I am down in Denver, Co. for work, so i Called HRO - Denver and since they had a special for HRO on the FTM-350R but wanted a 140.00 more for the FTM-350AR, i got the R version and the FGPS-1 Unit for 550 /w Denver Taxes.. Since there Remarks on it said Software upgrade would make it the same. Just Different Model #'s

So if someone could possibly help me in getting the setting's right i like the help and i will have to do the update when i get back to wa. state, hope the ver. 1.1 is ok while i am down here.

trying to set it up so when i drive semi hauling fuel my family can see i am ok and where i am @..

Mr. M., I Know you have alot of info on here, i just need the help to make sure i do it right the first time so i don't end up beacon a repeater by accident have a hard enough time here in denver finding a repeater i can use echo link / irlp cause i am not a member and there websites say you can, but really you can't without a access code, they say to asks so-in-so but can never get anyone to answer..

will aprs show what freq. i am on or do i just send a msg that show when someone looks @ my call and then they can see that i sent a msg as to what freq./rep. i am on.. dont know probly a stupid question.. :oops:

Well Thanks for any and all help...

Sincerely,

Ray Komro
DE KF7BSI
Roy, Wa.

:bdh:

Last edited:
will aprs show what freq. i am on or do i just send a msg that show when someone looks @ my call and then they can see that i sent a msg as to what freq./rep. i am on.. dont know probly a stupid question..

Not a stupid question at all. APRS supports encoding a frequency in the packet that tells everyone what frequency you're monitoring for a voice QSO. Most people call that the "QSY" frequency. To include that info in the beacon, the radio must support that functionality, otherwise you have to include the info manually in the beacon text. The cool thing is that if both the sending radio and receiving radio support the QSY functionality, changing to the voice frequency is usually done by just a push of a button. The FTM-350 does support this functionality.

To enable it, go into the APRS/PKT setup menu and choose menu E14-BEACON STATUS TXT. Under the new menu popup, choose item 1 - SELECT: and set it to TEXT1. Now scroll down to item 3 TEXT1:, push in on the dial select and then scroll down on the new screen and choose FREQUENCY. You can also add additional text after the frequency if you want. The screen you should be changing is this one:

979-1263884161-d7ab543811838a28fcd2e973cc4449ee.jpg

could you use tranmit one band and other band use aprs? and also can you use tiny track?

Jackie
N4MJG

Is there anyway mount the radio right beside the seat if i going to use aprs,i have mount my 8800 R i was wonder if i could do same for the ft-350R !

Jackie
N4MJG

could you use tranmit one band and other band use aprs? and also can you use tiny track?

Jackie
N4MJG

Yes you can transmit on one band and use the other for APRS. You could use the tinytrack with this, but it's not needed. All of the tracking APRS functions are built into the radio, which is the whole point.

Is there anyway mount the radio right beside the seat if i going to use aprs,i have mount my 8800 R i was wonder if i could do same for the ft-350R !

Jackie
N4MJG

You can mount the head wherever you want. You probably will have to purchase a different mount of some type to mount it where you want; I don't see the included mount working for that. There are plenty of other brands available, though.

I am still having pop-up problems. The S-list will populate normally, but the pop-ups are very sporadic. I clear the S-list frequently (like every 15 min.) and I have done a reset twice. The tech at Yaesu was very nice, but not a lot of help. His answer was "just play with it and see what happens"

This is the crazy part: I get a flood of pop-ups when I stop, they will go non-stop for about 30 seconds then seem to go back to normal. I have tried two different antennas with the same result.

All I want is to get a pop-up display for each good packet I receive. Am I asking too much?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I too have a similar issue, was wondering if it was a setting issue I created... My s-list populates but I don't get all the pop-ups. I'm using an Argent data cable to a Nuvi 350. Suggestions?

So I know the solution to this problem (for the meantime). Well I can solve it on my end but not for the others sending out beacons.

This has been talked about on other forums but I thought I'd bring it here. I have also emailed Yaesu to see if they'll address it in their next firmware update.

Apparently, the pop up will only display with there's been a change to the message in your beacon. So, If you broadcast the same message every time i.e. 1/1 then it will display your beacon or the other stations beacon the one time, and only add it to the s-list after that. To get around this on my end I changed my beacon message to 1/2. One time it will beacon my text, and display, the second time it will only display my telemetry, and display.

So if you know others that have APRS rigs in their vehicle you may suggest it so everyone can see each other pop up.

a 12 not flashing anymore

i was playing with settings om my ftm 350 i turned on the weather function and was scanning when i turned it back off the a 12 was no longer flashing like it was before now it just stays on dont know why that it did that any one else had this happen 2 them

FTM-350AR Discontinued??

Looking at Gigaparts this evening - their page says this radio (FTM-350AR) is discontinued?? I hope this is a mistake!

It appears that the 350 is being replaced by the FTM-400D. The 400 has been approved, but I have yet to see a price on it.

FTM 350 Versus FTM400DR

It shouldn't there are options that the FTM-350 R/E & AR have that the FTM-400DR Will not Get... Its meant to be More of a Digital Use Radio.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
It Looses the 1.25m(220 MHZ), Really Wide General Receive Coverage for all of HF

It adds the SD Memory, USB Camera Capable & some other stuff..
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a Look - Here's the Spec's on them ( Just remember that Yaesu its self has not listed the radio or its spec's on there own site yet... )

FTM-400D - YAESU FTM-400DR | YAESU FTM-400DR 2M/70CM DUAL BAND MOBILE

FTM-350R/E & AR - Welcome to Yaesu.com

I was looking @ The FTM400DR till i saw that it lost the General Coverage & the 220mhz 1 watt can still get out.. albeit not super far.. but its ok with me and saw what was packed into it.. if i was into digital more i might do it... but it would be a radio that would not get used as much as my FTM-350R..

Oh.. heard a few that totally Live & Breath D-Star already Complaining how manufacture's should just do it the D-Star way already on a post i showed awhile back on FB.. i had to set them Straight as all they could comment on how manufactures need to stop creating different standards... and tell them that the FTM-400DR is just using a standard protocol that is exists already.. & Before D-Star ever did...

Have a Great Day...:pop:

Sincerely, Ray K.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated