• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 lock-up problems

I am running 144.390 on the right side as a memory channel sending beacons every 2 mins. On the left side I switch between 146.520 (memory) and a local repeater (also memory), but predominately on the call channel. So far I haven't suffered a lock up. Maybe I'll let it run overnight and see if it'll duplicate your lockup. By the way, I plugged your test into Google APRS and was flooded with memories! I was a Sierra Madre Canyon kid and hiked all over the hills behind you.

I was a Sierra Madre Canyon kid and hiked all over the hills behind you.

Oh cool...a neighbor. Yep, I've hiked all over these hills & mountains, too. Great fun!

Mine locked up last night

It has been on continously for four days with 144.390 on the right side and 449.350 on the left. Sometime last evening it locked up apparently while receiving a packet (the right side meter is pegged and indicates busy). I have changed very few settings on it since taking it out of the box and have not entered anything into memory channels. Here's a screen shot of the locked screen. I'll see if I can retrieve the packet info that locked it and post it here.

P1010721a.jpg

N0BED

That's usually how it looks for me, too. However, I had a different one last night. I've seen this type of lockup one time before also. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• 2010-02-01 08.21.14.jpg
    2010-02-01 08.21.14.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 220
I am getting very frequent lock-ups. Here are my observations and thoughts:

The only critical settings I've found is that the APRS output is set, in E16, with the receiver set to a frequency with lots of traffic (I've been using the APRS 144.390MHz frequency). Also, the APRS modem is enabled in E05.

(I don't think it matters, because it's also locked up when using both receivers, but most of the time I've been running in mono-band mode.)

It always locks up with the squelch fully open. That is, I set the squelch for normal use, but when it locks up, it is as if the radio disables the squelch. I can still hear the packets in the background of the open squelch, but the buttons don't work, so I have to power-cycle the radio (it is connected to a power supply).

It locks up frequently, sometimes within seconds after a previous lock-up. But it occurs in bursts - sometimes it won't lock up for a while. Some unusual lock-ups while I was observing the radio:
  • In a couple of cases, it locked up again while still displaying the Vertex/Standard logo when powering up after a lock-up.
  • Twice it has power-cycled by itself.
  • Once it powered off by itself, and stayed off until I pressed the radio's power button.
  • Once it powered up with "PC SLAVE" on the display. I had to power-cycle it again.

If I were to speculate, i'd guess either some floating pin or buffer overrun, as I don't see the problem in frequencies with little packet traffic.

I got a call from a Yaesu tech today who has been looking at the radio since yesterday. Of course, they haven't been able to get it to lock up. I told them to do what I did here...put it on APRS traffic frequency on one side and a regular simplex or memory frequency on the other side and let it run while hooked up to the antenna. It will be interesting to see if they can duplicate it in the lab.

Just got my replacement 350 today and installed it in my truck. Thus far, after a few hours of testing, I'm not getting any spontaneous power-downs or obvious audio problems. I'll keep you posted.

It's been a while since I posted an update, but I wanted to let everyone know that the radio is still at Yaesu. I'll have updates for the forum as soon as I have more info.

I'm little surprised Yaesu didn't pour on the coals to fix it or send you an imediate replacement since your review threads are being closely watched worldwide. They could do an autopsy on their own time while your back on the road testing and posting!

Yaesu recall!

Just got a call from HRO to call Yaesu Tech support. I called them and they told me I need to send the radio in for a software update. They apologized and said the update will fix both the lock-up issue and the navigation issue. Sounds like they are getting right on it. Hopefully this will be the last of those issues. I'll let you know when I get it back.

I placed an order for the 350 through hamcity on tuesday and was told that there was an issue with yaesu where they would not be getting any in til later next week, though when I did the order they said they had them in stock, the next day i was notified (wednesday) about them not getting them til next week....I wonder if they pulled them all back for this upgrade?

The radio was waiting for me when I got home today! I've already hooked it up and have it doing the same thing as before to see if it is truly fixed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Moleculo,

Did Yaesu say what was wrong? was it an issue with your particular radio or was it a software update?
I am strongly considering buying an FTM 350, but I would hate to get one just to have it back to yaesu immediately for upgrades. If it was a software update, is there a way to tell what software version is in the radio?

Thanks for the great info you publish on this site!

Stefano N8USY

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.