• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-170 Extended Tx Mod

Buckshot555

Jul 25, 2010
From another source:

* 1- Remove the battery and the caution seal (sometimes a thin black cover) underneath the battery inside the battery compartment. This cover has a small trimmed corner with which to pry it off from, and the cover is adhesive.
* 2- Find the two surface mount resistors in the midway point between the two white connectors, next to the rectangular opening on the pcb, sometimes the upper resistor will be absent. Be very careful, because these are VERY tiny.
* 3- Remove/desolder the one or two resistors as applicable, CAREFULLY.
* 4- Replace the caution/black seal and the battery.
* 5- Press and hold the PTT switch and MONI switch at the same time and switch on the radio.
* 6- The radio will show SETRST on the LCD display.
* 7- Rotate the dial knob to ALLRST and press the F button.
* The radio is modified!
vx-170-cb1.jpg

I just would like to add the Mod is easier and faster to just nick (cut) the trace instead of removing the resistor. Just nick between the red arrows in pic. This also works for the Yaesu FT-270r which is the replacement for the VX-170. Then re-set as above.

That would work too. If you cut the trace instead of removing the resistor, then you could easily re-solder the trace, and un-mod the radio if need be.

From another source:

* 1- Remove the battery and the caution seal (sometimes a thin black cover) underneath the battery inside the battery compartment. This cover has a small trimmed corner with which to pry it off from, and the cover is adhesive.
* 2- Find the two surface mount resistors in the midway point between the two white connectors, next to the rectangular opening on the pcb, sometimes the upper resistor will be absent. Be very careful, because these are VERY tiny.
* 3- Remove/desolder the one or two resistors as applicable, CAREFULLY.
* 4- Replace the caution/black seal and the battery.
* 5- Press and hold the PTT switch and MONI switch at the same time and switch on the radio.
* 6- The radio will show SETRST on the LCD display.
* 7- Rotate the dial knob to ALLRST and press the F button.
* The radio is modified!
vx-170-cb1.jpg
I could use some help... Yaesu vx-170, only transmits on ham freqs. I need to modify it to transmit on other freqs. I have 3 of these units, 2 are just fine and I can use them when I work with Coast Guard Aux, on my own boat, etc. The 3rd unit I just got and it will only transmit on the ham freq. I opened up the back and verified the stuff and can't see any diff between the other radio but it will not transmit on 156 although the other 2 will. Help. I use it legally and have a ham license. US Navy Electronics Tech 1976-1981

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated