• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-7R

KF7EIF

Aug 30, 2009
Hi there. I am a new HAM as I got my call just over a week ago and only got my radio the week before that.

I am having fun out on the 2m repeaters, but still getting used to it and having some issues. I saved a few repeaters in the memory and got the PL tones right and made contact with a number of people.

I added a new repeater that a friend told me about, added the PL tones and thought it was working but it does not seem to "save" the TONE and PL frequency. If I change to a different memory and then back to the new repeater, it loses them. I am following the procedure in the manual that worked for the other repeaters, but this one does not seem to be working.

Any pointers for a newbie here? I'm sure there is something simple I am overlooking.

Thanks

Stephen
KF7EIF, Arizona
"But it's a dry heat"

Try setting up the repeater frequency and pl tone, then save it to memory. Or is that what you are doing?

Try setting up the repeater frequency and pl tone, then save it to memory. Or is that what you are doing?

I think my problem was trying to update repeaters after storing them in memory. I thought that by setting the pl tone and pressing PTT to save it saved. It only saves it temporarily, I needed to REsave the repeater to memory which means I need to remember what memory # it is or I will end up with a bunch of duplicate entries with some correct pl tones and some incorrect ones.

This new hobby, it is a learning process right?

Stephen, KF7EIF, Arizona

Welcome to the world of ham radio ( Congrats )

Oh yes...there is a bit of a learning process..

Not to worry....take a few deep breathes...
have some patience and you will conquer it i am sure..

You chose as your first HT a good radio..
However you also chose what many consider to be a hard radio to learn to use..

Welcome to the world of ham radio ( Congrats )

You chose as your first HT a good radio..
However you also chose what many consider to be a hard radio to learn to use..

Thanks!

I knew it would be a bit harder than just turning it on and I was pretty sure this radio would be something I would grow into. I think my 14 yo son is starting to get interested. If so, may be looking at adding a base unit for him to use at home sometime down the line. but that will be a different story for a different post.

Glad you figured it out pretty easily. A mobile used as a base can be fun when you want a bit more power...or want to be able to listen from across the room. I use a mobile on my base as a cross-band repeater, which lets me be around the house/yard, talk from my HT but use the 50 watt power of the mobile. If you decide to do something like that though, ask questions first. You have to do it in such a manner that is "legal" or the ham police will get upset :D

Glad you figured it out pretty easily. A mobile used as a base can be fun when you want a bit more power...or want to be able to listen from across the room. I use a mobile on my base as a cross-band repeater, which lets me be around the house/yard, talk from my HT but use the 50 watt power of the mobile. If you decide to do something like that though, ask questions first. You have to do it in such a manner that is "legal" or the ham police will get upset :D

Tell me more on how this is done. OR tell me what to search on to understand what can be done.

Tell me more on how this is done. OR tell me what to search on to understand what can be done.

OK, No problem. I'm off to the county fair with the family today but I'll start a new thread with how to set up a "legal" crossband repeater station for your own personal use.

When I became a new ham operator all the way back last year, my first radio was the VX7R. It is a very good, feature packed unit. And like you, i had trouble figuring out the programming sequences.

I did some research and found a really great piece of software to program my VX7R, and best of all, it was FREE.

You will need to purchase a programming cable. I got mine from ebay for about $12.00, including shipping, or you can buy the Yaesu cable for about $40. Your Choice.

The program is from Jim Mitchell. The link is:

Jim Mitchell - KC8UNJ

check into it. I have my 7R programmed for different areas and turn off all of the areas that i'm not using.

Good Luck, and enjoy the amateur radio experience. I definately am.
73s.

Tom KE7VMG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.