• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8DR

FMKeith

Jul 16, 2012
I would like to say thank you all for the great information on this site. I have been reading on here for a few months but this is my first post on the forum.

I just bought a Yaesu VX-8DR. I would like to get the programing cable and software but I have a mac and can't seem to find anything that works with mac. Seem to be all windows based software.

Please let me know if you guys know any solution to my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help,
-Keith

The only thing that comes to mind is for you to re-partition your hard drive, add a Linux O/S, and then run that O/S with with WINE. Not even sure that will work, to tell you the truth.

Or; borrow your son/daughter Window laptop and do it that way.

Or; build/get a used PC/laptop that is 4-5 years old for $150 that has Xp on it.

Welcome to the forum, FM.

I saw on a YouTube video that there was an option for power output. Does that mean that I can change the low power output that people seem to be complaining about with these radios?

I saw on a YouTube video that there was an option for power output. Does that mean that I can change the low power output that people seem to be complaining about with these radios?

There are 3 power levels to choose from. The highest power output rating is 5 watts on a full charge. Realistically, the actual power output can vary by a few watts on any radio, let alone an HT with a small battery. I've seen mine vary between 3-5 watts depending on the band.

There are 3 power levels to choose from. The highest power output rating is 5 watts on a full charge. Realistically, the actual power output can vary by a few watts on any radio, let alone an HT with a small battery. I've seen mine vary between 3-5 watts depending on the band.

Will both of the programs change the power output? I did find an old PC that I could use. However, if money and computers were of no concern which program would you prefer to use?

Will both of the programs change the power output? I did find an old PC that I could use. However, if money and computers were of no concern which program would you prefer to use?

RT Systems... Hands down. I can literally change every option with ease and I have had zero experience with programming radios.

Last edited:
RT Systems... Hands down. I can literally change every option with ease and I have had zero experience with programming radios.

I may be wrong but I do not think the RT Systems software supports the Mac OS. It is for Windows based systems only. The OP is looking for something to run on Mac.

I may be wrong but I do not think the RT Systems software supports the Mac OS. It is for Windows based systems only. The OP is looking for something to run on Mac.

Well I found a PC so now I am happy to just have the best of whatever programs are avalible.

Thank you all for your help.

I would like to thank all of you for your help! I will be picking up the RT systems software and cable.

Thank you again,
-Keith

Will both of the programs change the power output? I did find an old PC that I could use.

The only thing the programs do is change the same power output that you can do by hitting the TX power button on the radio.

Keith,

your best bet bud is to do a dual boot system/(linux on one side of your hard drive and windows on the other side of your hard drive ubuntu linux offers that option should work pretty good ;) )

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.