• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX8R Green Display

wildwest46

AA6QQ
May 3, 2009
Stockton, CA
Texas Towers in their description for the VX8R state that the display is "switchable from amber to green". I have read my manual from back to front several times and I can't find anywhere how to do it so I called Texas Towers and asked the salesperson and he was adamant that it was possible to change the display from amber to green in the menu. When I asked him if he knew how to do it he replied that he did not know how but it was possible. Does anyone know how to do this or are they completely wrong and have it confused with another model?

I think when you take a picture of it with the flash on, the screen looks amber

otherwise, green.

I spent some time going over the manual on this one and playing with my radio. The only thing that I can find that comes comes close is menu 49 - LCD dimmer. If you turn it down to "Level 1", the screen appears green, although it's not backlit. If you turn it up to "Level 4" the screen appears amber and backlit.

I think Texas Towers is stretching their description a bit.

I agree, I have seen ads where the display appeared to be green but I can't remember where, Texas Towers seems to be the only distributor claiming this option. What got me was how adamant this salesman was that all I needed to do was take the time and "properly" read the manual. I guess everything IS bigger in Texas, even fools, lol :love:

It depends on how the picture is taken.

In person, mine looks green, like this:

ya-vx8r_m.jpg

But when I took the picture, it turned out orange, like this:

c2-albums-station-picture391-vx-8r-ft-5100-got-aprs.jpg

Well, I took that unit back and have not yet gotten a replacement. That one was a dud!

All the pictures I took had the backlight on, but IIRC, the backlight did not add the orange color.

But my memory is starting to fade. At least I don't remember seeing orange lighting. Is that what you are suggesting?

Oh yeah, and I seem to remember the same thing with my CB radio, where the LEDs are green, but in my picture, they came out orange.

Well on mine, if I turn the backlight off, it looks like the top picture you posted that has a green background. But if I turn the backlight on, it is orange. Of course without the backlight turned on, it can be difficult to read sometimes.

I sent an email to Texas Towers and recieved this responce;

Our webmaster probably used Yaesu's sales brochure for the VX8R, which shows some of the display shots as amber and some as green.

The brochure makes no mention of the display being capable of two different colors. The green display shots were probably intended by Yaesu to represent the display when the amber backlight is off.

You might contact Yaesu Technical Support at 714-827-7600 and ask them. No one here has any significant experience with the radio.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Sounds to me that they are not taking responsibility for jumping the gun and listing an option that isn't or ever was available

No one here has any significant experience with the radio.

"We just sell stuff and send you stuff...we don't know anything about the stuff we sell, nor do we take the time to find out"

LOL. Find a different retailer.

Yup, I didn't buy mine from there, the last time I bought a rig from them it was about twelve years ago. I noticed when I was "shopping" that they mentioned the green display. Interesting to see if they change their ad copy now or leave it like it is.

My 2 cents for what it's worth...

Most often, I work in low light conditions and the red/orange makes transitions easier on the eyes.

I have a greenish display on another radio that I use and I really do prefer the red/orange much better.

I noticed that Texas Towers has changed their ad for the Vx8R, they have removed the part that the display was "switchable from amber to green"
Ah, the power of the pen LOL !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.