• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeasu WIRES

Watergate

Apr 11, 2011
I have a great wife. She just bought a Yeasu FT-7900R for me. An anniversary gift.

My question is, does anybody here use this WIRES system? Is this Yeasu's version of DSTAR?

And what is required to use this? As far as additional equipment, and most important, connection speed. As I am on the road all the time my internet is the 3g on my phone tethered to a laptop.

Reactions: 1 person

WIRES did not catch in here in the states like Yaesu had hoped. In Japan I think it's used quite often. To my knowledge, there's only a handful of WIRES equipped repeaters in the nation.

Sent using TapaTalk app.

I don't know of it being used around my neck of the woods either. Not a deal breaker though. Be a cold day in hades before my wife would buy me anything like that.

She's good to me. She saw my drool marks in the HRO catalog on the FT-857D and browsed Amazon till she found a Yeasu and bought it. She doesn't understand a thing about the hobby, and can't understand why it won't work with the antenna I bought for 10 meters, but her heart is in the right place.

I was just curious about the WiRES system as I can hit one repeater listed as capable on my travels.

I think Christmas will be expensive for me this year.:D

I got the wires2,and waiting for them to give me the number for it...will get back on here about it...will be active with my ft450d on 10mtrs and 6mtrs and sometimes on 75...73 de JW

Unrelated, but how you liking that FT-450d? Now that I have a VHF/UHF, I'm taking a hard look at that radio. Down the road a bit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.