• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Beep Level

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I could swear that I had an older Magnum 257 that could have the key press beep turned on or off.

Maybe it was some other radio.

However, as I am becoming more familiar with the Optima, the wife is becoming annoyed at the beep loudness on this radio. I also find it annoyingly loud myself.

Any hidden key press menu to turn off or something?

I wish I could remember what radio that was.

257hp

it was the 257hp i think if you held the function button when you turn it on the beep would stop

Thanks jon666,

I downloaded and read the 257HP manual before I posted and didn't see anything. Then I just read it again and found the procedure.

Press and hold PTT on microphone and turn radio on.

Just confirmed that it works on the Optima. Quiet as a mouse. :)

My Optima shipped without a manual. I downloaded a copy and it states the same procedure for the programming tone.

Guess I just can't read detailed stufff anymore.

How do you like the rig so far?

RT307

So far...

The transmit audio distorts with mic gain past 12 O'clock which drops power output back to around 35 watts. I get the same results using an ICOM HM-36 hand mic. Audio is said to be flat and bassi. It does NOT have the audio and punch of my previous 257HP. However, my 257HP was plagued with problems and made 3 trips back to the repair shop. AM/FM audio got pretty decent reports from my locals.

Signal meter is sensitive and pegs easily, even on locals that normally give me 1-2 S-units. The receiver does seem to be very sensitive though.

The second IF filter really attenuates the desired signal more than I like.

I do not like the stock mic, it's much to small and lightweight for me.

I have a big ol' piece of lint or something that is stuck on the LCD screen inside, bugs the crap outta me. Dave sent detailed directions to disassemble the unit to hopefully remove it. I would have done it sooner, but the unit has tamper seals, so it's still there.

I think the unit needs a very careful tune to balance out the audio distortion and allow me to see the advertised output wattage.

The tuning and step size is a welcomed change. The display is bright and easy on the eyes. I was wanting to swap out the 2950DX in my XJ, but I do operate 10 meter CW and can't do without, especially with current band conditions.

I do like the radio and expect it to perform as it should with a correct alignment. Also, I expect it will not need to see the doctor as much as the 257's my friends and I owned. Notice I said: "owned". I had an older 257 that was a suberb playing radio. I sold it 5-6 years ago and wish I still had.

I'll report back once I get it smoothed out.

Reactions: 1 person
I am running mine at 3:00 oclock about 3-4" away from my mouth and on an angle with great results.
But I too find the meter just alittle on the happy side.

Well...

My Optima continued with distorted audio and then developed a chirp sound upon keying. Dave from yeticom rapidly took care of my situation and now I have an Optima MK-II that I am very happy with. It operates just as other are reporting. I am very impressed with the receiver and the plug n' play Icom mic compatibility.

I have had many past sellers treat me well, but none without the rapid personal attention that David Donaldson provides. he's truly an honorable man and will treat you right. We had so many emails between us that I felt we were becoming pen pals.

Can't beat that kind of customer service.

Well...

My Optima continued with distorted audio and then developed a chirp sound upon keying. Dave from yeticom rapidly took care of my situation and now I have an Optima MK-II that I am very happy with. It operates just as other are reporting. I am very impressed with the receiver and the plug n' play Icom mic compatibility.

I have had many past sellers treat me well, but none without the rapid personal attention that David Donaldson provides. he's truly an honorable man and will treat you right. We had so many emails between us that I felt we were becoming pen pals.

Can't beat that kind of customer service.
That right there makes the radio worth the extra in my books.
Persoanlly, I think the radio is simply awesome. I just got a TS DX500 for mine so look out DX :)

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.