• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MKIII Questions?

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I have been reading posts on this Radio and from what I see a great choice in Mics is the Icom HM-36 hand mic. Looking on E-bay there are tons of cheap and also newer Icom HM-36 mics. The reviews show they are crap. Seems there is no outlet for an older made in Japan model. Do the Icom 8 pin mics up down buttons work on the Optima. I am guessing the Icom wireing and Optima wireing are the same. I was looking at the Icom base mic SM-30 Has anyone tried this mic? If I were to buy one I could also use it on My ID-880H with the optional 8 pin to modular connector. a little bit on the expensive side but if it works on both radios with the up and down buttons I may just buy one.

Thanks Camaro1 I know the Icom SM-30 works good on the ID880H a friend has on. I have been wanting to get one. Working on the Optima is a big bonus.

All 8 pin Icom mics will work with the optima mk3. And I am sure it will sound good. Most Icom mics I've used, the stock ones, hm36, hm12 and now an HM35 on my kenwood ts140s. I bypassed the circuit board inside the mic of the hm35 as it had too
much noise cancelling. I have gotten good audio reports with the HM35 vs the stock kenwood mic. The kenwood mc42 just didn't like my voice. Now I am being told it sounds totally different and good! Nice bassy audio. Which my voice lacks. Anyway. Just some experiences I've had with Icom mics. And no the HM12 doesn't sound as good as the HM36 on the optima mk3. Tried it. But on my Icom
746 the hm12 mic works better. Go figure. At any rate, I would venture to say an Icom desk mic should work well with the optima mk3. Don't see why it wouldn't. JMHO.

Thx for the link Camaro1! That is the one mic I haven't tried on my optima mk3. I've used so far, an RF Limited 2018 extreme, a Uniden BMKG0637001, the Icom hm12 and HM36, and out of all of them the HM36, made in Japan mic, works the best. And camaro1 was the person that i actually spoke to that was running one with the HM36 made in Japan mic, and after that I had to have one!! This was while I was using a magnum 257hp. The optima mk3 took its place and I never looked back!! It isn't being used now as I don't have a mobile setup, but I would be hard pressed to sell it!! It is just one of those radios you hold onto just because they work so darn good. They truly are the best SSB export radio I have used myself. I haven't been through all of them like Mudfoot and camaro1 as when I got the optima mk3 I stopped searching. Nothing has come out since that will be any better yet IMO. Just rebranded crap being put out!! Same boards, different chassis. Not new radios IMO. Anyway. You will enjoy the optima mk3. Get a good external speaker and have at it!! I never tried one but always wanted to on the optima mk3, and that is the west mountain DSP speaker. Not sure if it's worth the money, but I'm curious as to how well it would work with the optima mk3. I know that the large metal Wilson speaker works well with them. I used one in the mobile and it seemed to be the best of all the ones I tried. I still use it on my base as a matter of fact, coupled with an Icom external speaker, a radio shack external speaker, and also a tango external speaker under my desk. Makes for a great audio sounding station!! At any rate have a good one and have fun with the new radio!!

Thanks, I sold some things I was not using on E-bay and and thought I would order the Icom SM 30 mic to try on the Optima also ordered the modular adpt. for use on my D-Star radio also. Can't wait to see how it works. I have a nice cross needle meter with peak reading (Daiwa CN-801 HP ) and have been looking at the REA modulation meter. http://radioassociates.com/ so I ordered one also.Not a bad Idea to sell some stuff you have laying around to buy something you have wanted for a long time. Keeps the budget in tune also.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I saw on E-Bay they have Yaesu/Cobra 4 Pin Round Inline Mic Jack Adapter to ICOM 8 Pin Mic Plug. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=201280270335 will this work to use a 4 pin mic on the Optima. D104-M6B or RK-56 wired fot 4 pin. I like being able to use 4 pin mic's on my Uniden 980 SSB with the adpt. they supplied. Just a thought. I know you have to be very careful with radios that have voltage supply to mics etc. Prob will just use Base or stock mic.

Yes you can use those. I have thsy same one and it does indeed work with Icom radios and any cobra 4 pin mic. I've ran several of my other mics on both my Icom 746 and the optima mk3. The Icom sm30 mic should have a great audio sound to it with the optima mk3. But yes you can get that exact adapter and use a D104 wired for 4 pin cobra or any other 4 pin cobra type wired mic. They work. The adapter that is.

Those 8 pin adapters work. Below if a photo of the same one by the same seller Grogan, and like I said I have used every single 4 pin mic I have on my Icom 746 just for shits and giggles and also to see if the 2018 extreme would sound any better as well. Also, only issue with the REA setup that I can see is that it's for AM only. It specifically states will not work on SSB. Or it's not for SSB use as they say. It's made for AM only. I too looked at those once but without the use of SSB it's not worth much to me as I am on SSB 99.9% of the time. The optima MK3 is not an audio monster on AM. It's more of an SSB radio IMO. The added filtering and such are all for SSB and not AM mode on the optima. Just some food for thought.
Now if you plan on using it on other AM radios and such it will be a great tool. Also for messing with the TX audio and being straight plug and play have a look at these. Price isn't bad and even has make offer for one. But for the cost I think they are nice. They did have an 8 band one as well, but the 5 band one wouldn't be bad. I have been saying I may get one, and may here soon! Just waiting for all bills to be paid and the hobby fund to be replenished (y):). Then I may get one and see how well they actually do.
When you get the REA unit, like said, please post up some pics of the unit and how it performs as well. Looks like you had s good run of stuff that was bought. Where did you get the Optima MK3 from?? Or did your already have one?? If I were going to order one now, I would pay the little extra, ($35-$40) and get it directly from the dealer. You'll get an upgraded mic with it that is supposed to sound pretty good as well as the warranty and a tune and alignment before it comes to you!! All grest benefits for the little price difference between buying from Yeticom versus getting one off of EBay. JMO on that. At any rate have fun with the new stuff. And don't forget to post up some pics. What antenna you planning on running? Or are you all set there as well?? Just curious.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    899.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    778.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    952.2 KB · Views: 9
  • image.png
    image.png
    268.4 KB · Views: 9
The mic camaro1 posted (MC-46) works great with the optima!
I have also used a Japan made Icom HM-36 and an Icom SM-20 desk mic with great results, but I default to the MC-46 most of the time.

The Xtreme 2018 works with an adapter, but I received better reports using the MC-46 as far as tonality matching my voice.

Everything I have read indicates the impedance of the SM-30 aligns with the HM-36 so I would expect the SM-30 to work just fine.

Those 8 pin adapters work. Below if a photo of the same one by the same seller Grogan, and like I said I have used every single 4 pin mic I have on my Icom 746 just for shits and giggles and also to see if the 2018 extreme would sound any better as well. Also, only issue with the REA setup that I can see is that it's for AM only. It specifically states will not work on SSB. Or it's not for SSB use as they say. It's made for AM only. I too looked at those once but without the use of SSB it's not worth much to me as I am on SSB 99.9% of the time. The optima MK3 is not an audio monster on AM. It's more of an SSB radio IMO. The added filtering and such are all for SSB and not AM mode on the optima. Just some food for thought.
Now if you plan on using it on other AM radios and such it will be a great tool. Also for messing with the TX audio and being straight plug and play have a look at these. Price isn't bad and even has make offer for one. But for the cost I think they are nice. They did have an 8 band one as well, but the 5 band one wouldn't be bad. I have been saying I may get one, and may here soon! Just waiting for all bills to be paid and the hobby fund to be replenished (y):). Then I may get one and see how well they actually do.
When you get the REA unit, like said, please post up some pics of the unit and how it performs as well. Looks like you had s good run of stuff that was bought. Where did you get the Optima MK3 from?? Or did your already have one?? If I were going to order one now, I would pay the little extra, ($35-$40) and get it directly from the dealer. You'll get an upgraded mic with it that is supposed to sound pretty good as well as the warranty and a tune and alignment before it comes to you!! All grest benefits for the little price difference between buying from Yeticom versus getting one off of EBay. JMO on that. At any rate have fun with the new stuff. And don't forget to post up some pics. What antenna you planning on running? Or are you all set there as well?? Just curious.
Optima's are not for sale anymore from David at Yeticomnz. The radios are no longer made, and david posted a bit back that something new is in the works but no work on what it will be. That's all I knowl. Maybe he will say something here, I know he pop's up from time to time.
http://www.survival-systems.com/yeticom/optima.html

Last edited:
Nice Radio and no longer made. From what I see it's time to buy a ham radio and convert to use on 11 m or free band or the long lasting Ranger 50,70 radio or the Stryker.Just my thoughts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.