• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

You can't get 41-44 on a 858 chip (lol)

Ho-lee crap! Can't get 41-44 on the 858 chip? I did that when I was in high school! BCD isn't that hard to understand.

Hey, Tim, we live in the same town. PM me and I can show you how to do BCD math. It's really easy, I promise.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
the most telling part of the video for me was when he found that big TO-220 transistor mounted where R153 would have been, and didn't have a clue why. LOL

that is one of the most famous portions of this PC board, or maybe i should say infamous, and anyone that knows about this chassis would at least have a good idea what was going on there.
(the PC board gets burnt there a lot because of R153 getting over heated, and the transistor was most likely moved to that location because of burnt traces)

Tim should really stick to pulling and replacing parts and stop pontificating in his videos.
hey, his soldering is pretty good, i'll give him that. if that's worth 40 bucks an hour to you, and you like finding speaker wire in your radios, then SRC might just be the shop for you!
LOL
LC
I think its TR36

I think its TR36

yes that's correct, TR36. in some chassis it's mounted to the metal wall around the PLL section, and it would cause the SSB crystals to heat up and drift off frequency.
the board would also get very hot because of the current through R153.

later versions moved TR36 to a heasink along the back edge of the PC board away from everything else.

I always move R153 with it in order to keep all the heat away from those SSB crystals.
LC

It's funny because just by chance I ran across some of Tim's videos, he doesn't really give me much confidence in his abilities, on some things he seems like he knows what he is talking about but other things... wow!
I got a kick out of a President Madison (If I remember correctly) he was doing anyway, it was a newer (non 858) unit without a relay. Apparently the customer had wanted a 4-pin mic input installed as that was the only base mic he had and Tim said "sorry, I installed the 4-pin but after 45 minutes of trying to make this work, I can't do it so I re-installed the old plug and you will have to read up on how to wire the mic to work on this, if you can't figure it out... send it to me and I will do it!" LOL
Also, I think he damaged a lot of components by removing them, one of the amp ic's he removed to clean the "grease and wax off of....." he held it up to his shaky cam (I think someone said maybe he is using a 'helmet cam' LOL, "as you can see, the first few legs are corroded and broken, even though the radio was working when you sent it, it would have failed in a few months" Ha-ha I think he may have damaged it while removing it.
One other thing he does is remove and replace all the ceramic caps that run from the PC ground to radio chassis, correct me if I am wrong but unless he removed the mainboard this is a waste of time and money, isn't these caps used to tie the chassis to the ground of the PC board to filter out parasitic EMF spikes on base radios? I might be wrong but it seems like a waste of time and money as ceramic caps last a long time unless physically damaged.

the term "re-capping" usually refers only to the electrolytics.
ceramic disc caps don't age at near the same rate as electrolytics.
i imagine they go bad after many years, but im talking about MANY years.

Tim's idea of replacing the ceramic disc caps in base stations came from Unit 399's upd858 tutorial. (Tim gets all his info online)

I'm no expert, but it would seem that since capacitors pass AC, that this wouldn't make any difference unless the noise was DC.
I do hope he doesnt charge more than 10 bucks to jumper out the bypass caps.
LC

I agree, ceramic disc caps are AC blockers and as you say, they rarely fail.
I was thinking (since he didn't mention 'replacing' them) I was thinking he probably just jumped them to ground.
What is it with the speaker wire he uses to replace any wire he can get to? With the whole bundle all looking the same I pity anyone in the future tracing anything!
Have you been to his website? He mentions everyone to realize he is a one-man shop because he would never trust anyone else to do his (quality of) work!
He must also get sore arms from patting himself on the back as he always tells the customer what an "AWESOME" job he did!
I shouldn't say mean things about a guy I never met but when I see someone that is a 'legend in his own mind' it makes me upset, as an example coming from past experience, my first 2-tube linear amp was a Palomar and I was only in my teens and this older guy brought it over to me and said he had one of out own 'Tim's' in the area and told him he could mod it so it would put out over 100 watts! I pulled the cover off and one of the tubes was exploded so before I went further he said he would sell it as is for $50. I bought it and tore into it to see how someone could get 100 watts out of 2 tubes that my info stated was capable of 35 watts each! Well, I noticed the power transformer was shot as well so I looked into the bottom, here is what the guy did: it has a full-wave rectifier bridge made up of 4 diodes and this clown had put a jumper across each diode! (he must have thought they were resistors to 'cut down' the power), so he was sending 1000+ AC into the tubes!! I used a power transformer out of one of my Mom's old tube-style TV/FM radio and replaced one tube and replaced the filter caps and diodes and I had a nice 65 watt stable linear that I worked the world with using my Mosley 3-element beam!
It just goes to show, a guy with a big mouth can fool people because they trust them! Oh, he also never gave the guy back the money he paid 'up front' either. that was over 40 years ago and still makes me mad! The only satisfaction I got was explaining what this guy did to it on the air to the original owner, the super tech was on there talking to him when I broke in and told him, when I cleared off a few people tried to get the 'tech' but he had left the room! LOL

Last edited:
I suggest that you read my page again, because NOWHERE on it did I say anything about REPLACING the disc capacitors

sorry 399,
i should have explained myself better.
I wasn't saying that Tim got the idea of replacing the disc caps from you, I was saying that the idea of jumpering them came from your page, and that Tim was using info from your page in his videos.
definitely didn't say that very well. LOL

So, just for the record, 399's page on the 858 chassis does NOT contain info telling you to replace the bypass caps.

sorry bro!
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.