• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

You can't get 41-44 on a 858 chip (lol)

There is some funny stuff right there. He had also disabled comments on YouTube as well. He upped his labor costs, because he work is so good. If I had a dollar for every funny thing he said, then I could afford his work - lol . . .

impossibru.png

so people are willing to give a guy 400+ dollars to re-cap, align, and clean the controls on a radio?

he made himself look foolish three times in this video, and anyone that knows the 858 chassis slapped themselves in the head at least a couple of times watching it.

this work is worth 200-250 dollars MAX! and that seems a bit expensive to me, but it's what i would have to charge because those boards are really old, and can be very fragile so you have to work slowly.

watching this reminded me why i don't watch Tim's videos. yeesh.
LC

Reactions: Robb and Mudfoot
Whenever a local wants this kind of work from me, I tell them to go to eBay and buy a set of quality caps from 'Klondike Mike' and recap it themselves. I do the rest of the alignment work FOR FUN; not profit.

I thought it was funny when he said you can't really align freq on a radio for SSB. Whoo boy . . .

Hey Snake: let the radio warm for at least one hour along with your freq counter first; then do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bob85
the most telling part of the video for me was when he found that big TO-220 transistor mounted where R153 would have been, and didn't have a clue why. LOL

that is one of the most famous portions of this PC board, or maybe i should say infamous, and anyone that knows about this chassis would at least have a good idea what was going on there.
(the PC board gets burnt there a lot because of R153 getting over heated, and the transistor was most likely moved to that location because of burnt traces)

Tim should really stick to pulling and replacing parts and stop pontificating in his videos.
hey, his soldering is pretty good, i'll give him that. if that's worth 40 bucks an hour to you, and you like finding speaker wire in your radios, then SRC might just be the shop for you!
LOL
LC

He disables his comments because he knows he's a dumbass.
He has made some improvements in the equipment he now uses, which is a real plus for his customers. I mean; that is what these rants have been about - to me at least. He has an Hp freq generator - similar to the one I use - xlnt piece. He also has a Tektronix scope too; sure hope he uses it the next time he tries to mod and align a radio.

But as to him modding radios, so long as he sticks to the aesthetic mods, I have no problem with that. But I've had to un-mod two of his radios that sounded awful in the past; I just felt sorry for this local guy who paid Snake for this work. Radios work spot-on now - though . . .

Last edited:
Did I miss something here? did he rally state that you can't get channels 41 - 44 on an 858. and he can't get the SSB to adjust right.

the most telling part of the video for me was when he found that big TO-220 transistor mounted where R153 would have been, and didn't have a clue why. LOL

that is one of the most famous portions of this PC board, or maybe i should say infamous, and anyone that knows about this chassis would at least have a good idea what was going on there.
(the PC board gets burnt there a lot because of R153 getting over heated, and the transistor was most likely moved to that location because of burnt traces)

Tim should really stick to pulling and replacing parts and stop pontificating in his videos.
hey, his soldering is pretty good, i'll give him that. if that's worth 40 bucks an hour to you, and you like finding speaker wire in your radios, then SRC might just be the shop for you!
LOL
LC
Well, he doesn't hot glue heatsinks to radios anymore.

I still get a giggle out of that one . . .

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.