• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YOUR Opinion On Free-Banding

Status
Not open for further replies.
what about the non-licensed operator who enjoys using an amateurs' call sign to transmit on hf without any reprocussions.;)

Unfortunately, we've had pirates and bootleggers since the beginning. We take great sport in hunting them down like dogs, skinning them alive, and hanging the carcass from the nearest radio tower. ;)

That's easy to say and or do when the offender is within 25 miles or so of you and a couple of your closest cop friends to pull off but what if he's 200 miles away from the nearest ham op and 750 miles away from his closest dx contact then how will your lynch mob react to this violation?

A real friend helps dispose of the body. You might be surprised at the number of 'real friends' someone may have all over the place.
- 'Doc

(Having had my call sign used in that manner, VA3ES may have more friends than he thinks. You think?)

I guess my take on freebanding is like most others, if were not bothering anybody who cares, I'm not going into 10 or 12 meters, I use SSB like 99% of the time I am on the radio, I do speak english on the radio not like the mexicans that shoot skip all day into the US speaking gibberish. It's bad enough that the 11 meter Sideband guys can't get a break from the truckers they use all the channels including 36 to 40 making Sideband operation tough to say the least so why not freeband just to get away from the AMers

Here is an interesting read. It contains the actual FCC CB "SSB only" proposal for frequencies in the freeband area discussed in 1980 -

http://cbtricks.com/pub/secret_cb/vol_09/graphics/secret_cb_vol_09_pg02_03.pdf

Here is a copy of the actual FCC News release about the proposal. The article further goes in depth about the progress and discussions that took place.

sonwatcher-albums-my-shack-other-meanderings-picture2533-cb.jpg

I am a lic ham.I run 11mtrs ssb/am...never go above or below band.But have many amers around me that just tear the hell out of a few of us in our area.They splater,there signals are very bad.10 mtrs is useless.I run a old siltronix,not that great filtering,but when they getinto high end Icoms and Yeasues and Kenwoods that something.Its on freeband am freqs and also 28am just south of St Louis Missouri.I dont care about freebanders,i have worked more pirates from 28.350 to 28.305 that anywhere...hehe i just dont care,just a clean signal is what i want,not this crap of dead keying 35 and mod 800wts...73s de JW

Ha Ha.....good point!

Feed- Banding
...Well lets see, I never had a license to use my first 23 channel CB on 11 meters and I still don't have a license as of today to use the 11 meters - so I guess 11 meter free-banding is GREAT!!!!!!!!

Your the kinda guy I love Jamming while you try to work DX

I started running Freeband back in '90 along with over a few thousand freight haulers as such as Consolidated Freight, Roadway, Yellow Freight, Overnite, UPS, Arkansas Freight, This was on frequency 26.865. Now Fed-ex runs down around 26.115. I don't see where these frequency's would bother the ham operators. Correct me if i am wrong.

Stay off the ham bands and I could care less otherwise. It's not my business if it does not affect me.When I say stay off the ham bands I mean any and all splatter caused by a poorly tuned/filtered radio as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.