• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

youtube. MAH00002 GALAXY 979 REVIEW

WOW 80/120 WATTS ON SIDEBAND running with no shoes. Gotta get me one!!

You mean this one?

MAH00002 Galaxy DX 979 Review - YouTube

Meh . . . not very factual at all as a review.
However, I do appreciate his effort.

First off, CB output is a matter of FCC regs. This radio cannot be mfd, distributed, nor advertised as a 100 watt radio. FCC won't permit it. True, it has one MOSFET final - perhaps even a MOSFET driver too - but the tuned output is kept to a legal output. Or they could not be sold - simple as that.

One MOSFET driver/final combination cannot produce 100 watts. With two finals and one driver, the result will still be no more than 60 watts - tops. Physically impossible to reach 100 watts; unless he is using a meter that reads 'happy watts'. More like 30 watts - yes. But that radio could only put out 100 watts if it had an RFX-75 unit installed. No CB can have two finals from the factory. An Export radio can; but not a CB radio. Perhaps the guy thought that the driver transistor was counted as a final - lol! Common mistake.

Last edited:
not too smart there i guess and he has one happy meter,,, or of course his tech really done a amp board on inside of radio. just too unbelievable
73s midnight special

Yeah it was definitely a very very happy meter. Also get a laugh out of some of the ones over the Internet stock with a tweak and peak or snip and clipwanting to sell for 284 dollars

What a joke! Robb nailed it with the 60 watts max. I had Doug build my 979 with dual Mosfets and every other trick he could throw at it.....60 watts is all it was good for before I had him turn it down so to speak. Nice little radio but nothing to set the world on fire. The best mod was dimming those blinding RX/TX lights that do not dim with the back lite display.

Galaxy DX-979 AM/SSB Mobile CB Radio - Custom CB radios

You guys need to take into account the quality test equiptment he is using, Para Dynamics PDC-5 SWR/Watt Meter with a built in Antenna Tuner.
The Gold Standard in Radio Test equiptment.

Jeff

I had this come across the bench a few months back. A 979 with a 1446 final "truckstop rigged" in there. It worked but the biasing was non-existant of course.
This is not my work lol, but I did get it "to work".
AM was about 80 watts PEP.
IMG00104-20120714-2135.jpg

IMG00103-20120714-2135.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.