• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Zener receive mod? IRF840?

Inquietude

Jul 5, 2014
Hello all,
Have seen a couple of radios on ebay listing a "zenner (sic) receive mod" and an IRF840 final. I have googled myself out. Anyone have any details about these mods? It's obvious what the goal is but how is it done? Thanks in advance.
Inquietude

Hello all,
Have seen a couple of radios on ebay listing a "zenner (sic) receive mod" and an IRF840 final. I have googled myself out. Anyone have any details about these mods? It's obvious what the goal is but how is it done? Thanks in advance.
Inquietude
?
Uh; no. The popular receive mod does NOT use a zener diode, it uses a Shottky diode 1N6263. You are a bit confused about the part numbers and what they do. IMO before you go anywhere near the point of modding, you might do better by leaving things well enough alone. Enjoy your radio . . .

Last edited:
?
Uh; no. The popular receive mod does NOT use a zener diode, it uses a Shottky diode 1N6263. You are a bit confused about the part numbers and what they do. IMO before you go anywhere near the point of modding, you might do better by leaving things well enough alone.

I'm totally familiar with the Schottky mods. The guy on Ebay says his radio has a "zenner" receive mod. I was just trying to find out if there was some new mod I've never heard about. What you're saying is it sounds like the nitwit on ebay is confused and should be leaving things well enough alone, or learn what components are what.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
it's a typo.
it's supposed to be jenner.
bruce transitions all my radios.

I don't know if I'd trust someone who states his radio mods are "super cool".

it's a typo.
it's supposed to be jenner.
bruce transitions all my radios.

I don't know if I'd trust someone who states his radio mods are "super cool".

Yeah, but these radios were "seller refurbished" and oscilloscope tuned to "loud and proud", yet he confuses a zener with a schottky? And can't spell it either?? And spreads confusion throughout the land?? Idiocracy NOW!

Reactions: Robb
If someone was truly familiar with electronic components they would know right off hand that a zener diode would never be used for any type of receive mod. Schottky diodes with their fast switch times and very low forward conduction characteristic work great however a zener with it's avalanche conduction characteristic is best suited to voltage regulation.

Reactions: unit_399
If someone was truly familiar with electronic components they would know right off hand that a zener diode would never be used for any type of receive mod. Schottky diodes with their fast switch times and very low forward conduction characteristic work great however a zener with it's avalanche conduction characteristic is best suited to voltage regulation.
About Us
The WorldwideDX Radio Forum was originally established in 2001. We pride ourselves on welcoming Radio Hobby enthusiasts of all types, while offering unbiased, informative, and friendly discussion among the members. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Radio Hobbyist's site

You guys sure fooled me. If the above replies are your interpretation of the above paragraph then feel free to cancel my registration.

About Us
The WorldwideDX Radio Forum was originally established in 2001. We pride ourselves on welcoming Radio Hobby enthusiasts of all types, while offering unbiased, informative, and friendly discussion among the members. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Radio Hobbyist's site

You guys sure fooled me. If the above replies are your interpretation of the above paragraph then feel free to cancel my registration.

My post above should have included the following quote. I thought I included butI guess I missed it. My post was in regards to the quality of knowledge the guy on Ebay has. If he knows anything about electronics he should know that a zener is NOT the item of choice and i would believe nothing he says nor purchase anything from him.

Yeah, but these radios were "seller refurbished" and oscilloscope tuned to "loud and proud", yet he confuses a zener with a schottky? And can't spell it either?? And spreads confusion throughout the land?? Idiocracy NOW!

About Us

Feel free to re-read CK's original post and really read it this time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.