• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2009 Dayton Hamvention Coverage

Here are some shots of one of the most interesting and inventive products at the flea market outside. This guy manufactures and sells a Carbon Fiber Portable Antenna Mast system that breaks down into a bag. That doesn't sound like a big deal until you see it in action.

It comes complete with the tripod, mast, a couple of stand-offs to mount antennas on top, guy rope, anchors, and block and tackle system. To assemble this system, you put the tripod together, then insert a mast piece into the tripod and assemble the stand-offs and block and tackle. You then use the block & tackle crank to raise up the mast from the center of the tripod and add mast pieces from the bottom. It was so easy that you could raise a portable antenna up by yourself. This was probably one of the most well designed portable systems at the show, and the price was very competitive. Unfortunately this guy doesn't ship them anywhere, so you'll have to find him at hamfests:

Here the tripod has been assembled and the first section is being raised up:
Putting another section in from the bottom :
Everything fits into the bag:

Raised up about 30' with guys attached to water jugs:
And the price:

Does he have a web site ?

Buddipole collapsible capacity hat

Here is a brand new product from these guys (Buddipole) that isn't even on their website yet:

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture784-buddipole-booth.jpg

This is a collapsible capacity hat that works just like aluminum tent poles with the bungee cord inside. It has a center hub and steel aircraft cable around the outside. Here's a pic of the Buddipole guy opening it up:

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture785-opening-up-collapsable-cap-hat.jpg

And here it is assembled. You can tell by the roof tiles how big this thing is. This would be a really great improvement for field verticals.

The one thing I wasn't clear about is if you could put a standard 3/8-24 threaded whip on top.

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture786-buddipole-collapsable-cap-hat-assembled.jpg

Here are some shots of one of the most interesting and inventive products at the flea market outside. This guy manufactures and sells a Carbon Fiber Portable Antenna Mast system that breaks down into a bag. That doesn't sound like a big deal until you see it in action.

It comes complete with the tripod, mast, a couple of stand-offs to mount antennas on top, guy rope, anchors, and block and tackle system. To assemble this system, you put the tripod together, then insert a mast piece into the tripod and assemble the stand-offs and block and tackle. You then use the block & tackle crank to raise up the mast from the center of the tripod and add mast pieces from the bottom. It was so easy that you could raise a portable antenna up by yourself. This was probably one of the most well designed portable systems at the show, and the price was very competitive. Unfortunately this guy doesn't ship them anywhere, so you'll have to find him at hamfests:

Here the tripod has been assembled and the first section is being raised up:
Putting another section in from the bottom :
Everything fits into the bag:

Raised up about 30' with guys attached to water jugs:
And the price:

Does he have a web site ?

We asked him; he said "no". He said that he just doesn't want to deal with the shipping because it just isn't cost effective for him right now.

Jetstream meters

One more quick note about the Jetstream products. We went back because I wanted to look at a few more of their products. I picked up a 2 position coax switch for $19.95. These are the EXACT same switches that have the Daiwa brand name on them, but they're $10-$15 less. I have a few Daiwa switches that have part number CS-201 on them. The Jetstream part number is CO-201 :LOL:

Here are some meters that they had for sale. These are also the same as some of the Diamond and MFJ meters. It looks like the same company is producing all of these brands:

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture789-jetstream-meters.jpg

Icom 7200

Here is a picture of the Icom 7200 that came out recently. This rig is smaller than I thought it would be...it's similar in size (a little bigger) to a Yaesu 857d. This unit is ruggedized and weather/water resistant. The Icom guys said they basically took a 718 and ruggedized it for portable/field use. It looks like it is very well built and would be a good choice for the field environment.

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture790-icom-7200.jpg

bhi DSP

This product has been out for a little while, but I thought I would show it for those that are unfamiliar with bhi's DSP products. This is a DSP speaker unit:

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture793-bhi-noise-away-dsp-speaker-unit.jpg

The left side has a couple of buttons to toggle DSP filtering on and off, as well as set it to one of the five DSP filter levels. This is the same company that makes the DSP units for the GAP Hear-It speaker. In fact, they said that the GAP product is made by them, branded for GAP. I asked him how his products compared to the SGC speakers (since I have one). He showed me the audio graph of the SGC speaker, noting how it was very "rippled" I can attest to the fact that the SGC unit makes the audio sound warbled. A brief demonstration of this device showed that it's DSP is very effective at targeting just the audio portion without much distorion.

One design issue that I see with this unit is that it is difficult to use this in a mobile environment, where it is actually most desirable. The typcal mobile user that doesn't have a lot of dash/cab space for radio gadgets is going to want to install this under the seat or out of site. That means you're going to want to engage the DSP filter, set the desired filter level and then just forget about it, wanting it to turn on whenever you turn the vehicle on. Unfortunately, this device uses a little push button contact switch to set the level and engage/bypass the DSP, so you can't use it remotely. The rep said that the unit will remember the filter level, but not automatically engage the DSP filter after it loses power. I asked him if they could make a version that used an on/off toggle switch (or similar) to engage the DSP filter to solve this issue. He replied that I was the second person of the day that asked that question so he would talk to his engineer to see about designing something like that. If they come out with it, you heard it mentioned here first ;)

DXEngineering tilt over vertical & HexBeam

This is a tilt over vertical antenna system from DXEngineering. This particular one is the 160 meter vertical. They didn't have the whole antenna due to height restrictions, but they had similar versions for the other low bands. The base has the standard DXEngineering radial plate. If you have the room to erect this beast, you wouldn't want to do it without this tilt-over crank system!

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture792-new-dx-engineering-160-meter-vertical.jpg

This is a picture of a 10/12/15/17/20 meter HexBeam. These have been around for a while, but I had never seen one close-up and in person. This is a very nice pre-built antenna that is made to be very simple to assemble. You can tell how light weight the whole antenna is by the size of rotor being used to turn it. You can get more info at www.hexbeam.com if you wish to buy instead of building one yourself.

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture791-10-12-15-18-20-mhz-hex-beam.jpg

One more quick note about the Jetstream products. We went back because I wanted to look at a few more of their products. I picked up a 2 position coax switch for $19.95. These are the EXACT same switches that have the Daiwa brand name on them, but they're $10-$15 less. I have a few Daiwa switches that have part number CS-201 on them. The Jetstream part number is CO-201 :LOL:

Like this?

picture437.jpg

Tokyo Hy-Power Linear Amplifiers

Here are a few shots of the Tokyo Hy-Power Line-up, including some new models. These amps are truely things of beauty. When you study them, all you can see is attention to design and detail. I would love to get my hands on one or more of these.

Here is the New Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.1Kfx. It's a 600 watt HF amp with built in switching power supply.

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture801-tokyo-hy-power-hl-1-1kfx.jpg

Here are the specs of the HL-1.1Kfx in detail:

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture802-tokyo-hy-power-hl-1-1kfx-specs.jpg

Here is a clos-up of the HL-1.1Kfx filter board:

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture803-tokyo-hy-power-hl-1-1kfx-filter-board.jpg

Here is a Tokyo Hy-Power SWR/Power meter they were using to demonstrate with. This isn't a product that is for sale. They said it was something they just "threw together"

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture800-tokyo-hy-power-swr-power-meter.jpg

This is the HL-2.5Kfx, 1.5KW HF amplifier. It has auto or manual band switch, Nice meters and a digital display that also tells you what your operating band is, internal temperature, and a few other details

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture799-tokyo-hy-power-hl-2-5kfx.jpg

Here's an inside shot of one of the other amps. Unfortunately, I forgot which one this is :confused:

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture798-inside-one-tokyo-hy-power-amps.jpg

Here is the new HL-45B, 45watt HF amplifier that is intended to be used with QRP rigs:

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture797-tokyo-hy-power-hl-45b.jpg

This is the HL-350V, 300+ watt 2 meter VHF amplifier.

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture796-tokyo-hy-power-hl-350v.jpg

This is the new HL-500V, 500 watt 2 meter VHF amplifier.

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture794-tokyo-hy-power-hl-500v.jpg

Inside the HL-500V:

moleculo-albums-tokyo-hy-power-2009-dayton-hamvention-picture795-tokyo-hy-power-hl-500v.jpg

Both the President and Chief Engineer where there and were very proud of their products. I would be too! I chatted for a bit with the President who told me that there aren't many reviews of these products around because some of them have not been certified by the FCC yet. I told him I didn't care and if he wanted to ship me one to evaluate, I would be happy to write up a review :tongue:. If I was in the market for a new amplifier, I would give these serious attention.

While talking to the President of Tokyo Hy-Power about his products, he said that the VHF amplifiers cut off power output pretty quickly outside the lower portion of the 2m band, but would work up to about 152Mhz or so fairly well.

Like this?

Yep, that looks like the same product, too.

New TenTec 238C High Power Tuner

Here's a new product from TenTec, the 238C High Power Tuner. It also has a built in 4 position antenna switch:

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture804-tentec-238c-high-power-tuner.jpg

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture806-tentec-238c-high-power-tuner-face.jpg

Peak/AVG meter and power level switches

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture807-tentec-238c-high-power-tuner-switches.jpg

And finally, the inside:

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture805-tentec-238c-high-power-tuner-inside.jpg

This is basically an upgrade to their previous tuner, adding the cross needle meter, the Peak/AVG functions and the variable power levels. I played with this thing for a few minutes, and it is smoooooth.

Dishtronix Amplifiers

Here is a product for those of you that can never have enough power for very long periods of keying: The Distronix DX2400L1 amplifier. It is rated at 2400 watts PEP and 1500 watts continuous duty on SSB, CW, RTTY. This guy ran this amp for the entire convention at about 1300 watts. I don't think he ever turned it off. It is also really quiet; you probably wouldn't even know it was on without the lights. It is also massive!

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture808-dishtronix-dx2400l-2-4kw-continuous-duty-solid-state-amplifier.jpg

Front face with watt meter showing about 1300 watts output:

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture809-front-panel-dishtronix-dx2400l-doing-about-1300-watts.jpg

Bird Meter showing the amp output:

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture810-bird-43p-meter-showing-output-dishtronix-amp.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.