• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

27.3850 lsb call ch... 2hr qso, really?

i once got my name and callsign blacklisted in cb action (aussie cb mag) for talking on the "AT" call channel (27.555)..seems they didnt like it i was living on a island and would not "QSL" so they blacklisted me...lol silly clubs

they call me "Stewart Island 44" and i am black out break break

all i ever hear on ch38 lsb is donkey stomper dokey stomper ..those poor mexicans

Is it any different on CH. 19? That's supposed to be an open channel just like a calling frequency primarily for highway communications.

Now it's for being as obnoxious as possible using noise toys, noise makers, recordings, roger beeps, and people doing hour long monolouges or agitating and ridiculing truck drivers especially when skip conditions are ideal or on ground wave.

And for all of you who do that out there, I'm sure you're proud!

As for the this thread topic, if the channel was fairly busy, then yes the courteous thing to do is QSY.

That's some of the reasons why I got away from CB. I still use it for the local channels at home and I always monitor it on the highway.

It was the SSB mode on a Cobra 148, then a President HR 2510 that got me interested to take it to the next level.

Maybe more of you guys will do the same!

Reactions: WR3143
right
27.555 is pretty much known as an international calling frequency and I think pretty much everyone knows that even hams.
You are right Garth about .555 being international call, but who declared it to be call channel - FCC or maybe ARRL? Just like ch 38...

There are still ham operators that keep coming onto .555 and saying that it is not a call frequency, but everyone dismisses their comments, just like 38....

Ch.38 has been the main ssb call frequency in North America as far back as the mid 80's and there is still hundreds of people calling on it every day somewhere in North America. Do 11 meter people care if 38 has never been given international status - I don't think so. But I will bet my last piece of coax that 38 will still be used as call freq. for the next 10 years and maybe beyond....but as far the beyond part - I may not be around by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: WR3143 and Marconi
right

You are right Garth about .555 being international call, but who declared it to be call channel - FCC or maybe ARRL? Just like ch 38...

You know the answer to that one. Why would the FCC condone an out-of-band frequency to be used as a call frequency? Why would the ARRL care about something outside the amateur bands? Besides the ARRL is concerned with the AMERICAN bandplan anyway and has zero say about anything outside the USA. 27.555 became a popular calling frequency as far back as the early 80's IIRC. I remember the Alpha-Tango group popularizing that frequency as a call frequency and most likely that is why it has become the defacto international call frequency. Maybe not but that is what I remember from being active on that band back then and was a member of that group.

There are still ham operators that keep coming onto .555 and saying that it is not a call frequency, but everyone dismisses their comments, just like 38....

How do you know they are hams without a callsign? Anybody can claim they are anything. In any event ignoring them is the proper thing to do.

Ch.38 has been the main ssb call frequency in North America as far back as the mid 80's and there is still hundreds of people calling on it every day somewhere in North America. Do 11 meter people care if 38 has never been given international status - I don't think so. But I will bet my last piece of coax that 38 will still be used as call freq. for the next 10 years and maybe beyond....but as far the beyond part - I may not be around by then.

My point is that someone in Europe could care less about a North American call frequency just as much as a station in Kansas could care less about a call frequency in Italy. Regional call freqs. with worldwide propagation will always lead to problems with people rag chewing on someone's call frequency. This is the reason why DX windows on the amateur bands are worldwide however they are not legally binding and subject to gentleman's agreements of which by faaaar the majority abide.

Reactions: Sonar
...... This is the reason why DX windows on the amateur bands are worldwide... and subject to gentleman's agreements of which by faaaar the majority abide.

applause.gif
applause.gif

... and that is (just) one of the differences between the two services.

i believe tripe 5 was designated as a "international call freq" by the alfra tango (AT) club back in the early 1980's..well at least thats the story told down here since then in cb mags and by the AT club guys
the europeans claimed 26.285 usb as their one around the same time to get way from the chaos that was 27mhz back then

either way 555 is the new ch19 and has been since the 1990's maybe you guys dont hear all the crap we hear down this way on it

in aussie ch35 LSB has been the so called gentlemans agreement call freq since the days of 18 channels in aussie (when their channel 12 was your channel 16) before they switched to the fcc bandplan
the semi agreed ch16 lsb (27.155) call freq is all but a desert now down here

new zealands ch35 (26.720 lsb) was the unoffical ssb call channel but most dont use it much any more since we have been allowed the fcc band as well as our oringnal 26mhz 40 channel band (26.330-26.770mhz) most here have legally migrated to the fcc band now ..its just the few diehards that sit on the old band listening to static

Firstly I welcome everyone. I am here for months and still I am reading. Time to say hello
In Europe everyone who is using 11 m knows that 555 is calling frequency but still many, especially Italians stations, doing there a mess like at channel 19, altogether with Roger BIP , the echo and other toys...
There is also EchoEcho monitor (26425), where Polish stations are talking from the entire world, and even though everyone there know that after calling he have to do qsy to the other frequency, so there is also mess at time to time
Of course everything on 11 is unofficial, and only the goodwill of users can keep it in one piece, in my opinion...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.