• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

27.3850 lsb call ch... 2hr qso, really?

You were completely legal until you hit the above 40.
If you are referring to operating on frequencies within the 11 meter band being legal,

Yes, on the designated channelized 40 channels, These are listed in Part 95 for the CB frequencies that are channelized and allocated for the CB band and must be within a .005% tolerance on frequency. We all know that!

No, on anything in between. Only the 40 channels are allocated for the CB band and nothing more. I think a lot of people don't know this and assume.

If your CB transmitter is off more than .005%, then you are operating your CB in violation. That covers the notion of "in between frequencies" being legal.

AM and SSB modes are legal on CB but still must be on the channelized frequencies. FM is not legal even on ham bands below 29 MHz.

Are you likely to get caught operating outside(non-ham bands) or in between the designated 40 channels? Most likely not!

Reactions: Sonar
First,
there have always been channels used for various specified purposes on 11 meter CB in the U.S. Some were officially recognized in part 95, the F.C.C. rules - like channel 9. Others were more the product of common recognized practice - like channel 19 for truckers and LSB 16 for SSB enthusiasts. These were just good practices. Recognizing LSB 38 as a hailing frequency was a just another good practice responsible radio enthusiasts embraced and respected. Hogging up any channel for too long should be discouraged. Doing it on a frequency commonly used the way LSB 38 is used is pretty much inexcusable.

Second,

Just "Don't Dream It's Over"
Just "Don't Dream It's Over".....LOL well played

Are you likely to get caught operating outside(non-ham bands) or in between the designated 40 channels? Most likely not!

But if you are, FCC fines start at $7000. Hell they'll fine you that if you refuse to allow them to inspect your station.

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-proposes-to-fine-cber-14-000-for-not-permitting-station-inspection

This guy got fined $22,000 for using a 150W linear and interfering with other CBers transmissions, probably mic-keying

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-ups-the-ante-in-proposing-huge-fine-on-cb-operator

First,
there have always been channels used for various specified purposes on 11 meter CB in the U.S. Some were officially recognized in part 95, the F.C.C. rules - like channel 9. Others were more the product of common recognized practice - like channel 19 for truckers and LSB 16 for SSB enthusiasts. These were just good practices. Recognizing LSB 38 as a hailing frequency was a just another good practice responsible radio enthusiasts embraced and respected. Hogging up any channel for too long should be discouraged. Doing it on a frequency commonly used the way LSB 38 is used is pretty much inexcusable.

Second,

Just "Don't Dream It's Over"

Third,

You throw in Stewart Island on top of all of that north island/south island talk and you must have seriously confused them.
But if you are, FCC fines start at $7000. Hell they'll fine you that if you refuse to allow them to inspect your station.

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-proposes-to-fine-cber-14-000-for-not-permitting-station-inspection

This guy got fined $22,000 for using a 150W linear and interfering with other CBers transmissions, probably mic-keying

Seem like those examples got the door knock because they were
idiots more so than operating illegal equipment. I believe this might be true for most that have gotten a visit. 73

All true! Yet if you follow up on some of these violations, the violators haven't paid one cent and some have even continued on doing as before. The FCC here in the U.S. has become more of a paper tiger with no teeth.

The only ones seemed to comply with any FCC violations are commercial broadcast since they have their whole business at stake if they lost their station license.

All true! Yet if you follow up on some of these violations, the violators haven't paid one cent and some have even continued on doing as before. The FCC here in the U.S. has become more of a paper tiger with no teeth.

The only ones seemed to comply with any FCC violations are commercial broadcast since they have their whole business at stake if they lost their station license.
I'm not surprised that those fines haven't been paid. It makes sense that when one's livelihood depends on runninga transmitter by the rules those rules would be followed. I can't imagine what type of infraction a commercial radio station would make but I'm sure it happens. I guess the government needs to have FCC foot soldiers on the payroll in order to drive around in those fancy GMC SUV 's containg expensive tracking equipment. After all someone needs to catch the bad guys. Guys like the jammer who's been disrupting cb radio communications for some time now. I would've been impressed if he instead of the NY guy operating 150 watt " linear". the FCC would've grabbed him.

I can't imagine what type of infraction a commercial radio station would make but I'm sure it happens
Here is a link where you can see all the archived and current FCC violations. This is all public record so you can look up any one you may have heard of getting a violation and you will find it here. This includes Commercial broadcast stations, Broadband wireless providers, Amateur and CB, pirate FM stations, and I even scrolled thru the archives and found State Police and Fire stations radios in violation. It's all there if you search around.

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/

I guess the government needs to have FCC foot soldiers on the payroll in order to drive around in those fancy GMC SUV 's containg expensive tracking equipment.
They are out there but it doesn't happen enough to the one's who are really disruptive. With all the Government budget cuts, there are few agents left to do this type of enforcement on a regular basis. They even stopped issuing Amateur licenses as a certificate and wallet card. Now you just get a piece of paper.

WR3143 - did you by chance jump over to the WR forums and ask the folks what's up?
Not yet.
I've been a cber since 78. got into ssb in 81. it's always been 38 was the call channel to make contacts in/out of country. if you were gonna qso longer than a few minutes, a considerate dxer would qsy and let the other operators try to make contacts.
Evidently, there aren't as many considerate stations as there used to be.

Yes, the 2 stations were within 20-30 miles of each other. One was running a kw or better. I hear him on a regular basis 3 states away. but I also have a group up here that do the same thing. they talk shit to the dxers when they are asked to qsy. they know the deal and are just being goober smoochers.

Last edited:
Before I comment I'd like to say that even though 38 LSB is a nightmare I use it..
If there's dx I'll stop there in order to say hello to the many people I've befriended. Many of whom seem pleased to stay there as long as their rig's are on.
If I contact someone I would like to have a QSO with I'll tell them to qsy.
It's amazing how everyone seems to have to park there when 36, 39 and 40 LSB are empty in comparison.
When the cycle was in full swing and hundreds of stations were calling each other and doubling, tripling and quadrupling over each other I would just say my handle and a qsy. Enough stations would go there to keep me busy for hours if I was so inclined. 38 LSD is so attractive to so many and I'll never understand why. Especially since there's three other channels that are quiet while 38 LSB is one big QRM session. That's not mentioning the so-called freehand frequency's that are open and even quieter then the legal frequencies. I know it's not legal but on 11 meters 27.555 USB seems to be the only real call frequency on 11 meters. I guess it's a gentleman's agreement and most do follow the unwritten rule.
Of course like anywhere now a days there's always going to be that clown in the bunch but for the most part operator's do follow the agreement, call and, move.on to the requested frequency.
I actually heard an argument between 2 locals recently (on 38 LSB). A station in Phil. was arguing that 38 was a call frequency. He was adamant about that. I wonder if the OP is the same guy?
Even if that were the case and 38 was a call frequency, How many actually would follow that rule? HF transceivers, amplifiers, open clarifiers modified audio sections ECT ECT ECT are illegal but many many many people do it anyway. I too break the rules. Every time I turn on my setup but i consider myself a good operator anyway. No noise toys. Don't key over others. Just common sense and courtesy goes a long way. 73
No. I'm not him.

ve been a sidebander since 81.
38 has always been a call channel.
I was involved in 11 meters from '73 to '90 and never heard 38 called the calling channel. In fact the one of the local SSB groups used it as their club channel.

I think this goes to show that there really was no organized control of 11 meters. It seems the use of a calling channel was more localized then national.

Last edited:
Shameless plug for the SSB Classic Radio Round Up Show every Thursday night from 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm EST on CB Channel 16 LSB 27.155Mhz

Yes, SSB on CB CH 16 (the old CB SSB call frequency before 40 channels) is alive and well near Philly (y)

Reactions: 2RT307 and 222DBFL
If you are referring to operating on frequencies within the 11 meter band being legal,

Yes, on the designated channelized 40 channels, These are listed in Part 95 for the CB frequencies that are channelized and allocated for the CB band and must be within a .005% tolerance on frequency. We all know that!

No, on anything in between. Only the 40 channels are allocated for the CB band and nothing more. I think a lot of people don't know this and assume.

If your CB transmitter is off more than .005%, then you are operating your CB in violation. That covers the notion of "in between frequencies" being legal.

AM and SSB modes are legal on CB but still must be on the channelized frequencies. FM is not legal even on ham bands below 29 MHz.

FM is legal below 29mhz as long as the modulation index is equal to or less than 1 isn't it??? That doesn't make it legal on 11 meters though.

FM is legal below 29mhz as long as the modulation index is equal to or less than 1 isn't it??? That doesn't make it legal on 11 meters though.
I asked this question when I took my extra exam and was told it wasn't legal below 29 MHz because the wide bandwidth even on narrow band FM so it is reserved for the upper portion of the band.

Here is the band plan for our area which is region 2 showing what modes to be used within each band.

Notice throughout the band plan you see "all modes" in some of the blocks. I even see "all modes" on 60 meters which we know is a USB specific band with specific rules on ERP and center frequency that I find it hard to believe FM would be legal there unless you can narrow it down to 2.7 KHz. I think some more research on this to find out for sure since this raises a question what 'ALL MODES' means here. But for sure, the CB band is limited to AM/SSB modes.

Try calling on 20 meters using FM and see if people don't jump all over you for it.

Attachments

• R2 Band Plan 2016.pdf
    820.2 KB · Views: 3

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.