• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

27.3850 lsb call ch... 2hr qso, really?

I asked this question when I took my extra exam and was told it wasn't legal below 29 MHz because the wide bandwidth even on narrow band FM so it is reserved for the upper portion of the band.

Here is the band plan for our area which is region 2 showing what modes to be used within each band.

Notice throughout the band plan you see "all modes" in some of the blocks. I even see "all modes" on 60 meters which we know is a USB specific band with specific rules on ERP and center frequency that I find it hard to believe FM would be legal there unless you can narrow it down to 2.7 KHz. I think some more research on this to find out for sure since this raises a question what 'ALL MODES' means here. But for sure, the CB band is limited to AM/SSB modes.

Try calling on 20 meters using FM and see if people don't jump all over you for it.

People get bent out of shape when we use AM on the lower frequencies. Even used legally FM would give them a stroke. I really should look into this more. If it is legal we can start switching to legal limit FM when the slop bucket operators park next to us trying to run us off the band. Not to piss them off but to overcome the QRM and continue to use the frequency. ;)

Been on the Classic Radio Roundup there BBB. Was working up there around the area and used my uniden PC122XL. This was Dec. 4, 2013 I want to say. Was pretty cool as it was my first time being recorded and then I could hear it on YouTube. Bunch of nice gents I met while up there!!! Ill have to look through my log book and see who all I wrote down.
And to the subject at hand. 38 is where all the locals here chat at. At least 10-15 of them at times. Most of the time it's about 6-8 people though. Now if we hear a lot of DX we will move up another channel, like 36, or 39,40. Most of the time there isn't much going on on those frequencies. Shoot I've made many contacts by talking locally on 38lsb and have someone jump in and QSK, and ask us where we are as we are coming in strong where they are. Don't really tnink it's any official call channel though as like many have said, too many locals use this channel/frequency to talk locally. Just my experiences since I have been using SSB.

FM is legal below 29mhz as long as the modulation index is equal to or less than 1 isn't it??? That doesn't make it legal on 11 meters though.

I asked this question when I took my extra exam and was told it wasn't legal below 29 MHz because the wide bandwidth even on narrow band FM so it is reserved for the upper portion of the band.

Here is the band plan for our area which is region 2 showing what modes to be used within each band.

Notice throughout the band plan you see "all modes" in some of the blocks. I even see "all modes" on 60 meters which we know is a USB specific band with specific rules on ERP and center frequency that I find it hard to believe FM would be legal there unless you can narrow it down to 2.7 KHz. I think some more research on this to find out for sure since this raises a question what 'ALL MODES' means here. But for sure, the CB band is limited to AM/SSB modes.

Try calling on 20 meters using FM and see if people don't jump all over you for it.

This comes up quite often and the answer depends on who you ask. There is a STRONG argument for FM being LEGAL on the HF bands below 10m based on the occupied bandwidth and modulation index. Here in Canada we have bandwidth restrictions and not mode restrictions so it is perfectly legal for me to operate narrow band FM (2.5 KHz deviation) on 14.005 if I want too. There is of course a band plan that is applicable that does not list this as an option however it is a band PLAN and not a legal document. Operating FM on 14.005 would be bad practice however.Most HF radios that have FM mode have two FM modes, wide and narrow. The FM NARROW mode is what needs to be used on HF below 10m.

This comes up quite often and the answer depends on who you ask. There is a STRONG argument for FM being LEGAL on the HF bands below 10m based on the occupied bandwidth and modulation index.....

I understand that you are in Canada, but, there is no such thing as regulation by bandwidth down here.

true, there is a relationship between bandwidth and modulation index, but, the part 97 reg,as written, only addresses mod index < 1 @ the highest operating freq.

... and yes, FM as provided for in part 97 is legal below 29 MHz for General and higher licensed operators.

the problem with FM (as I see it) is that when you get below about 1.6 mod index, then AM has better qualities regarding "capture" effect.

I understand that you are in Canada, but, there is no such thing as regulation by bandwidth down here.

true, there is a relationship between bandwidth and modulation index, but, the part 97 reg,as written, only addresses mod index < 1 @ the highest operating freq.

... and yes, FM as provided for in part 97 is legal below 29 MHz for General and higher licensed operators.

the problem with FM (as I see it) is that when you get below about 1.6 mod index, then AM has better qualities regarding "capture" effect.

Yes I know you have mode restrictions there and not bandwidth restrictions like we have here. That is why I mentioned it. Glad to see you agree FM is legal below 29 MHz for general and higher. A lot of operators have no idea that most HF radios have two FM bandwidths and it is the NFM or Narrow band FM thyat needs to be used if you are on HF. Many, OK most, operators will argue vehemently that it is NOT legal based simply on looking at a bandplan but they really should be looking at the details in FCC part 97 instead. As I said however, a bandplan is one thing while regulations are another. Would I operate narrow band FM on 14.195? Ummmmm (n)......probably not. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.